Program Director, M.S. Software Management
Gladys M. Mercier has 12 years of software engineering experience with a focus on industrial automation systems for steel manufacturing. She has been a certified professional project manager (PMP) since 2002 and has served in a variety of roles throughout her career, including analyst, developer, designer, architect, tester, trainer, and team lead. Gladys joined Carnegie Mellon in Silicon Valley in 2003 and has played an instrumental role in the growth and success of the M.S. in Software Management (MSSM) program.
In addition to her role as MSSM's Program Director, Gladys teaches related coursework as a faculty member and is the academic advisor for both the MSSM program as well as the Information Networking Institute's MSIT-SM program.
Gladys grew up in Sacramento, California and attended college in Boston and Pittsburgh, PA. After earning her undergraduate at the University of Pittsburgh, Gladys launched her software career in the city's steel manufacturing industry. Her work allowed her to travel extensively, installing systems in many cities in the U.S. and Brazil.
Gladys has been a part of the Carnegie Mellon community for nearly 20 years. After earning her master's degree at CMU, Gladys developed and taught a project management course for Heinz College. When she moved back to California, she continued her CMU career by joining the Silicon Valley campus.
Gladys spends her free time both outside and on the ice. She studies landscape architecture, urban design, and California native plants. Her favorite pastime is playing ice hockey, traveling across the U.S. as part of winning teams and leagues. After living in Pittsburgh for 16 years (and during the Mario Lemieux era), Gladys continues to be a devoted Pittsburgh Penguins fan, despite the cheers of her San Jose Sharks-loving neighbors.
Advice for Future Innovators
"Listen to all the advice you get, and create your plan to act on it. Don't think the difficulties will bypass you. They won't."
Areas of Expertise
Project Management, Software Engineering, Teamwork, Interpersonal Skills
Integrated Innovation Courses
- Foundations of Software Management
- Elements of Software Management
- Metrics for Software Managers
- Managing Software Professionals
- Process & Project Management
- Software Management Practicum
- Software Management Independent Study
- Software Management Capstone Project
- Practical Training in Software Management
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) - Carnegie Mellon University
- Master of Software Engineering - Carnegie Mellon University
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science - University of Pittsburgh
- Certified Project Management Professional (PMP) - Project Management Institute