Program Director, M.S. Software Management
Gladys M. Mercier is the Program Director for the Master of Science in Software Management degree. For the past 18 years, Gladys has served on the faculty at the Silicon Valley campus of Carnegie Mellon University.
Gladys grew up in Sacramento, California, and attended college in Boston and Pittsburgh. After earning an undergraduate degree at the University of Pittsburgh, she launched her software career in industrial automation. She worked on control systems for steel manufacturing clients and served in a variety of roles throughout her career, including analyst, engineer, designer, QA, trainer, team lead, and product owner. Her work allowed her to travel extensively, installing systems in cities across the U.S. and Brazil. She has been a certified professional project manager (PMP) since 2002.
For over 20 years Gladys has been a part of the Carnegie Mellon community. After earning her first of two master's degrees at CMU, Gladys developed and taught a project management course for Heinz College. When she moved back to California, she continued her CMU career by joining the Silicon Valley campus where she teaches project management, software process, teamwork, business analysis, and co-teaches a career management course.
Gladys spends her free time on the ice or outside. Her favorite pastime is playing ice hockey. After living in Pittsburgh during the Mario Lemieux era, Gladys continues to be a devoted Pittsburgh Penguins fan, despite the cheers of her San Jose Sharks-loving neighbors. She volunteers with the California Native Plant Society, and has earned certificates in landscape architecture and sustainability from UC Berkeley Extension. She is currently studying sustainability education at Prescott College.
Advice for Future Innovators
"Listen to all the advice you get, and create your plan to act on it. Don't think the difficulties will bypass you. They won't."
Areas of Expertise
Project Management, Software Engineering, Teamwork, Interpersonal Skills, Landscape Design
Integrated Innovation Courses
- Foundations of Software Management
- Elements of Software Management
- Metrics for Software Managers
- Managing Software Professionals
- Process & Project Management
- Software Management Practicum
- Software Management Independent Study
- Software Management Capstone Project
- Practical Training in Software Management
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) - Carnegie Mellon University
- Master of Software Engineering - Carnegie Mellon University
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science - University of Pittsburgh
- Certified Project Management Professional (PMP) - Project Management Institute