Dr. Peter Boatwright
Director of III, Allan D. Shocker Professor of Marketing and New Product Development
Peter Boatwright is the director and a co-founder of the Integrated Innovation Institute. As an expert in innovation education, he has coauthored two books and teaches coursework on related topics such as product innovation, brand strategy, new product management, pricing strategy, and market research.
In his work, Peter has consulted for leading companies across diverse industries. He has collaborated with several industry leaders, including Nissan, Apple, International Truck and Engine (Navistar), Campbell's, Philips-Respironics, Bayer, Bosch, Merck, Mindtree, MSA (Mine Safety Appliances), Procter and Gamble, Lubrizol, McKesson, GlaxoSmithKline, New Balance, DesignAdvanceSystems, Hewlett Packard, and Lockheed Martin.
Peter has been with Carnegie Mellon University since 1997, joining as a faculty member of the Tepper School of Business. In his current role in the Tepper School, Peter serves as an Allan D. Shocker Professor of Marketing and New Product Development and has taught business coursework at CMU's campus in Doha, Qatar.
Peter is originally from Denton, Texas. He spends his free time focused on being a dad.
Advice for Future Innovators
"First, diligently study people in the domain or sphere you plan to innovate within. Thinking of the product or service as a solution, you will do yourself (and the world) a service to start with a rich understanding of the 'problem' you are solving."
Areas of Expertise
Innovation, Product Pricing, Statistical Modeling
Integrated Innovation Courses
- Integrated Product Development Capstone
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Business - University of Chicago
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) - University of Chicago
- Master of Science in Statistics - University of Wisconsin
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematics - Wheaton College
- Boatwright, P. B. H., and J. Cagan. “Built to Love: Creating Captivating Customers.” Berrett-Koehler Publishers, San Francisco, September 2010.
- Vogel, C. M., J. Cagan and P. B. H. Boatwright. “The Design of Things to Come: How Ordinary People Create Extraordinary Products.” Wharton School Press/Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 2005. Translated to Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Spanish, Italian.
For a complete list of publications, visit Peter's profile on the Tepper School of Business website.