Mellon Institute Named a National Historic Chemical Landmark 10 Years Ago
- Associate Dean for Marketing and Communication, MCS
On March 28, 2013, Carnegie Mellon University and the American Chemical Society (ACS) celebrated the Mellon Institute of Industrial Research as a National Historic Chemical Landmark in recognition of its numerous research accomplishments and legacy of scientific training. The internationally renowned nonprofit research laboratory operated in Pittsburgh for more than 50 years. Established in 1913, the Mellon Institute merged with Carnegie Institute of Technology in 1967 to form Carnegie Mellon University.
Construction of the building began Nov. 6, 1930 for its eight floors of laboratories, a bustling library, a social room with pool tables and lounge chairs, a 350-seat auditorium equipped with film projectors, machine shops, glassblowing facilities, and other meeting rooms. At the time Pittsburgh-based architects William York Cockenand Benno Janssen designed the structure the building was among the largest and most expensive research laboratory facilities in the United States. Dedication ceremonies took place between May 5-9, 1937. In 1966, the Mellon Institute produced this film narrated by longtime Pittsburgh news anchor Paul Long.