How to Apply
Graduate admissions at Carnegie Mellon are handled at the department level. Interested students apply to the Department of Chemistry directly.
A complete application must include all of the following:
- Complete online application form
- 1-2 page statement of purpose describing your previous research experience, research interests for Ph.D. work, and how you hope to pursue those interests at Carnegie Mellon. If possible, include the names of the faculty whose work most interests you.
- Three letters of reference
A letter from your current or previous research advisor is especially important. When you provide their names in your application, your references will receive an an email describing how they can submit their letter. See the FAQ for more information.
- Transcripts of all previous undergraduate and graduate work
Official transcripts from all universities attended will be required from admitted students before they will be eligible to enroll.
Due to the COVID-19 global crisis, we will not be requiring GRE general or subject test for the Fall 2022 admissions cycle.
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT) is required for students whose mother tongue is not English. An official score report should follow in order for your application to receive consideration.
If TOEFL iBT is not available, the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is also acceptable as an alternative.
- Tuesday, October 12th at 9:00 AM (EST)
- Tuesday, Octover 19th at 2:00 PM (EST)
- Wednesday, October 27th at 9:00 PM (EST)
We particularly encourage the submission of resumés or CVs. These are especially helpful with complete citations for publications (including titles of papers) and presentations (including where the presentation was given). You will be at a competitive disadvantage without a resumé or CV.
You may upload 1-2 optional items at the time you submit your application.
Questions can be directed to:
email@example.com or (412) 268-3150.