Yesterday, the Carnegie Mellon University community celebrated the grand opening of the reimagined Alan Magee Scaife Hall.
Formal programming included remarks by CMU President Farnam Jahanian(opens in new window), Board of Trustees Chair David Coulter(opens in new window) College of Engineering Dean Bill Sanders(opens in new window), Mechanical Engineering(opens in new window) Head and Professor Jon Cagan(opens in new window), and students Ryley Starta and Juan Mesa.
“As the new home for the Department of Mechanical Engineering, the Alan Magee Scaife Hall enables new advances in technology, science and education. It empowers the people of mechanical engineering and Carnegie Mellon to advance, lead and create a future for education and research for the rest of the 21st century and beyond,” said Cagan.
During the program, it was announced that the College of Engineering received a gift from Intel Corporation. In recognition of this gift, the Engineering Quad will be named in honor of Gordon E. Moore, co-founder, innovator, philanthropist and friend of Carnegie Mellon. Additionally, another space in ANSYS Hall will be named in honor of Intel Corporation. The dedication of these spaces will be held at a future date.
“The location of the outdoor quad situated between Scaife, Hamerschlag, ANSYS, and Roberts Hall will stimulate an energy and vibrancy at the heart of engineering that we have not had before,” explained Sanders. “You can imagine the experience when the large doors along the wall of Tech Spark in ANSYS Hall will be raised, creating a seamless transition and flow between indoor and outdoor activity. It will become a technology piazza.”
After the program, guests were encouraged to explore Scaife Hall and enjoy a variety of research demonstrations ranging from a virtual reality exhibit on how the brain senses and controls movement to a showing of robots built for challenging, real-world environments.
“Within these walls our community will continue to push the boundaries of innovation, design, science and discovery,” said Jahanian. “While we can’t see the future, we know it will originate from right here at Carnegie Mellon.”
Carnegie Mellon University and the Department of Mechanical Engineering are grateful to all of the supporters who made Scaife Hall possible including the following leadership donors.
- ALLEGHENY FOUNDATION
- RICHARD F. ALLEN (ENG 1950): ALLEN “TAKE A BREAK” ROOM
- SARAH BHUTTA (MCS 1988) AND AFZAAL AKHTAR (ENG 1984, 1986): SHAHEEN AKHTAR MEETING ROOM, BUSHRA BHUTTA MEETING ROOM
- DARCY BRADBURY AND ERIC SEILER: BRADBURY-SEILER OFFICE
- PAUL (ENG 1990), JANEL (ENG 1993), MOLLY (ENG 2020), AND ANDREW BROWNING: BROWNING FAMILY GARDEN AND BUGGY VIEWPOINT
- JACK G. BUNCHER CHARITABLE FUND FOR CMU: BERNITA L. BUNCHER GARDEN
- THE CASEY-LEEMHUIS FAMILY: CASEY-LEEMHUIS FAMILY COLLABORATION SPACE
- MATTHEW CONTI (ENG 1988): CONTI MEETING ROOM
- DAVID COULTER (TPR 1971, 1971) AND SUSAN WEEKS COULTER: COULTER LEARNING HALL
- ROBERT DIBBLE (ENG 1910, 1912) TRUST: DIBBLE ROBOTICS LAB
- DOUGLAS FIELDS (ENG 1948) TRUST: FIELDS MEETING ROOM
- STEVE (ENG 1981), CAROL (PITT 1990), KEVIN (DC 2014), AND BRAD (ENG 2016, 2017) FULTON: FULTON TERRACE
- JEROME (ENG 1957, TPR 1969) AND CAROLYN RAE HOLLERAN: HOLLERAN CLASSROOM
- MATTHEW AND KELLI HOWARD: HOWARD FAMILY COLLABORATION SPACE, HOWARD FAMILY STUDY ALCOVE
- DIANE L. KOLLAR: DONALD L. KOLLAR COLLABORATION SPACE
- ALAN MCKNIGHT (ENG 1953): MCKNIGHT MEETING ROOM
- ADAM MERVIS AND LAUREL KROACK: MERVIS FAMILY RAPID PROTOTYPING LAB
- DREW PERKINS (ENG 1986): CHARD AND VIVIEN PERKINS BREAK ROOM, DANIEL PERKINS COLLABORATION SPACE
- JANIE AND MATTHEW RIDDLE: RIDDLE COLLABORATION SPACE
- DANIEL STARTA JR. (ENG 1982, TPR 1995) AND THERESA STARTA: STARTA UNDERGRADUATE COLLABORATION SPACE
- GERALD (ENG 1943) AND DORIS STEFFEY: STEFFEY ROBOTICS LAB
- JUDI, DONALD (ENG 1959), AND RHONDA (DC 1993, TPR 1994) STRUMINGER: STRUMINGER OFFICE OF THE DEPARTMENT HEAD
- DANIEL (ENG 1985) AND KAREN (ENG 1985) SWANSON: SWANSON CONFERENCE ROOM
Thank you to those whose gifts supported the benches in and around Scaife Hall:
- JONATHAN AND LESLIE CAGAN
- ELIJAH DOBRUSIN (ENG 2004, 2005)
- PAM (ENG 1987, TPR 1995) AND RANDY EAGER
- PAUL (ENG 1982, 1984, 1988) AND SUSAN ENGLERT (TPR 1984), IN MEMORY OF CHESTER AND MARY ANNE ENGLERT
- GENA HENRY AND JIM KEMPERT
- ANN JIE FOUNDATION
- MATTHEW, MELISSA (HNZ 1996), MASON (ENG 2022), AND ELLA (ENG 2026) SANFILIPPO
- JAY (ENG 1989) AND ERICA SCHLEICHER
- DIPAL AND SWATI SHAH, IN LOVING MEMORY OF ISHAN SHAH (ENG 2020)
- XIAOWEI TIAN (ENG 1985, 1990) AND MICHAEL T. TRICK (ENG 1990)
- TAMMI WONG, IN MEMORY OF PUFFLES WONG
- LISA, DAVID, AND DEBORAH (DC 1989) YUE, IN MEMORY OF DAVID DAHSOONG
- YUE AND TIENJEN YUE
- JESSICA ZHANG AND JASON, ADA, AND AMY SUN