Carnegie Mellon University

Information for International Students

Similar to our peer institutions, we consider all non-U.S. citizens as international students with the following exceptions: permanent residents of the United States, eligible non-citizens, and undocumented students in the U.S.

Find more information on our FAQ page

International Transcripts

We require that all international academic documents be verified by a transcript verification service. The verification not only provides courses in English and grades on the U.S. scale, but it also provides services to our committee members should they have questions regarding the transcript.

If you find another transcript evaluation service that you would prefer to use, please ensure it provides all stated requirements:

  • Accredited evaluation agency
  • Office in the United States
  • Customer service contact phone number our Admissions Committee may call.

Financial Letter of Support

If admitted, you will be required to submit an official document to Carnegie Mellon's Office of International Education as proof of funding in order to obtain immigration paperwork. This is a mandatory requirement.

English-Proficiency Testing

Demonstration of English proficiency is mandatory for all international students whose native language is not English and who have not previously received a four-year degree from a U.S. university. We accept TOEFL, Duolingo, or IELTS. See the FAQ page for more details, including minima.

Financial Support

International applicants to our MS and PhD programs are considered for financial support. See our FAQ page.

International Student Resources