Information for International Students
My institution provides English-version copies of my transcript. Do I still need to go through a transcript verification service?
We require that all international academic documents be verified by a transcript verification service. The verification not only provides courses in English and grades on the U.S. scale, but it also provides services to our committee members should they have questions regarding the transcript.
Will you accept an evaluation report from XYZ Corporation?
If you find another transcript evaluation service that you would prefer to use, please ensure it provides all stated requirements:
- Accredited evaluation agency
- Office in the United States
- Customer service contact phone number our Admissions Committee may call.
Financial Letter of Support
If admitted, you will be required to submit an official document to Carnegie Mellon's Office of International Education as proof of funding in order to obtain immigration paperwork. This is a mandatory requirement.
Demonstration of English proficiency is mandatory for all international students whose native language is not English and who have not previously received a four-year degree from a U.S. university. We accept TOEFL, Duolingo, or IELTS. See the FAQ page for more details, including minima.
International applicants to our MS and PhD programs are considered for financial support. See our FAQ page.
International Student Resources
- Office of International Education, This office also provides instructions on what to do after you’ve been accepted
- International Student Advocacy at CMU. This student-run organization supports international students at CMU
- International Student in EPP (IS=EPP). This is EPP’s own international student group. Meet us during orientation!
- Multicultural student organizations at CMU, find yours!