Enrollments, Waivers, Changes & Cancellations
Insurance coverage periods are August 1 through July 31 each year.
Enrollment across insurance years
If you enrolled in the insurance mid-year, say June, and wish to also be enrolled beginning August 1 when the new insurance year begins, you will have to complete two forms: one for the prior year's coverage running June 1 - July 31, and one for the current year's coverage starting August 1. Remember: prior year enrollments don't roll-over to the next year.
Enrolling outside of the Open Enrollment Period-Qualifying Event
Life and Family Status Changes
Family or life status changes frequently require you to change your benefits to accommodate your new situation. yUou can make changes consistent with your status change within 30 days of the date the status change occurred.
- In most circumstances, you cannot change the TYPE of coverage (e.g. your plan) but you may modify the LEVEL of your coverage (e.g. add a child following a birth or adoption).
- Changes must be made within 30 days of the status change. If you miss the 30-day period, you will have to wait until the next Open Enrollment to change your benefits.
Accepted Family or Life Status ChangesMarital/Domestic Partnership Status Changes:
- marriage/registration of domestic partnership
- death of spouse/domestic partner
- divorce/termination of domestic partnership
- birth or adoption of a child
- child becomes incapable of self-support due to total disability
- death of dependent child
- dependent becomes ineligible for coverage
You/Spouse/Domestic Partner Gains Coverage from Another Source
You/Spouse/Domestic Partner Loses Coverage from Another Source
Modify or cancel your enrollment decisions
Review the enrollment opportunities and deadlines that apply to enrollment changes.
Vision and dental enrollment decisions cannot be cancelled. If you enrolled yourself in the fall open enrollment period, and wish to enroll a spouse, domestic partner or children in the Spring, you have to pay the entire additional premium. There is no proration, and a change in enrollment is treated as another enrollment entirely.
Medical enrollment decisons can be modified when qualifying events take place, and require that a medical enrollment change form be completed.
Medical enrollment decisions can be cancelled if 1) the cancellation is done before April 1, and 2) no claims are paid or pending against the policy. A medical enrollment cancellation form is required. Students who must meet the university's insurance requirements must also complete a waiver form.