Hamerschlag University Professor of Engineering Emeritus
- Carnegie Mellon 1978-
Dr. Hendrickson's professional career includes research contributions in computer-aided engineering, transportation systems, construction project management and environmental systems. Central themes in his work are a systems wide perspective and a balance of engineering and management considerations. His doctoral work included the development of a travel distance formula for random stops still in use for home service planning (1978). He pioneered models of dynamic traffic equilibrium, including time-of-day departure demand models. He was an early contributor to the development of probabilistic network analysis for lifeline planning after seismic events. His work in construction project management emphasized the importance of the owner's viewpoint throughout the project lifecycle, summarized in his text (with T. Au), ‘Project Management for Construction,’ now available on the web. With others at Carnegie Mellon's Engineering Design Research Center, he developed a pioneering, experimental building design system in the early 1990s that spanned initial concept through construction scheduling and animation. Since 1994, he has concentrated on green design, exploring the environmental life cycle consequences of alternative product and process designs. He has contributed software tools and methods for sustainable construction, pollution prevention and environmental management, including life cycle analysis software (http://www.eiolca.net ) and a widely cited analysis of the life cycle consequences of lead acid battery powered vehicles.
- Ph.D. 1978, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- M.B. Phil. 1975, Oxford University
- M.S. 1973, Stanford University
- B.S. 1973, Stanford University
- Matthews, H. Scott, Chris Hendrickson and Deanna Matthews, ‘Life Cycle Assessment: Quantitative Approaches for Decisions That Matter,’ 2014, www.lcatextbook.com.
- Hendrickson, Chris T., Lester B. Lave, H. Scott Matthews, Arpad Horvath, Satish Joshi, Francis C. McMichael, Heather MacLean, Gyorgyi Cicas, Deanna Matthews and Joule Bergerson, "Environmental Life Cycle Assessment of Goods and Services: An Input- Output Approach", Resources for the Future, 2006.
- Fenves, S., U. Flemming, C. Hendrickson, M. Maher, R. Quadrel, M. Terk, and R. Woodbury, "Concurrent Computer-Integrated Building Design", Prentice-Hall, 1993 (Reviewed in ASCE J. of Architectural Engineering, Sept. 1995).
- Hendrickson, C. and T. Au, "Project Management for Construction", Prentice-Hall, New York, 1989. Other Editions and Authorized Translations:
- Hendrickson, C.T., Project Management for Construction, (2nd edition), http://www.ce.cmu.edu/PMBook/, 2000.
- Chinese Translation: Higher Education Press, 2005.
- Farsi Translation: M.T. Bankie, 1995.
- Spanish Translation: Diego Arturo L. de Ortigosa, 1994.
- Zozaya-Gorostiza, C., C. Hendrickson and D. Rehak, "Knowledge Based Process Planning for Construction and Manufacturing", Academic Press, Cambridge, MA, 1989.
- Wohl, M. and C. Hendrickson, "Transportation Investment and Pricing Principles", John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1984.
- Hendrickson, C. and H. Scott Matthews, "Civil Systems Planning, Investment and Pricing," 2011. Updated and generalized version of Wohl and Hendrickson, 1984.