New Environmental Health & Safety Programs
Check here for the new Hydrofluoric Acid Safety Program and the Lithium-Ion Battery Safety Guidelines.
New HazMat Purchasing Card Program
Visit the Hazardous Materials Purchasing page to learn more information on how to obtain and use the new HazMat P-Card.
Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) is committed to providing health and safety services that protect the university community and the environment.
The mission of Environmental Health and Safety is to support the University’s mission and values by sustaining and enhancing a safe and healthy environment for the CMU community. Our service excellence plus one approach, and collaborative partnerships help mitigate the risk of injury, reduce impact to the environment, and maintain compliance within the areas of Fire, Laboratory, Workplace Safety.
Help ensure the safety and well-being of the CMU community.
University Police: 412-268-2323
Ethics Hotline: 1-877-700-7050
CMU-Alert is Carnegie Mellon's emergency notification system used to communicate important information during an emergency.
MSDSonline – a VelocityEHS solution
- Millions of safety data sheets, and the ability to filter results to quickly identify documents in a variety of regulatory formats — including GHS
Visit our SDS page for more information on how EH&S uses this system.
Forms, Tools and Supplies
Do you have a repetitive stress injury or would like an evaluation of your work station?
Shipping or Receiving Hazardous Materials
Certain materials have been deemed "Dangerous Goods" and are subject to special shipping or receiving restrictions.
For secondary containment, come to one of our offices (FMS Building 3rd Floor - OR - MI Room 313)
EH&S Office Locations
Facilities Management Building
- Follow the driveway between Robert Mehrabian Collaborative Innovation Center (RMCIC) and Hamburg Hall to the stop sign
- Descend two flights of stairs
- Door enters on the 3rd floor, the EH&S office will be to the left
- Use the Bellefield Street side entrance.
- Stop at the guard's desk for assistance.