Carnegie Mellon University

Hotwork Program

Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) manages a Hot Work Program via a permitting process. These permits cover all welding, brazing, cutting, soldering, and dust or mist producing activities and must be obtained in person by all contractors and University maintenance personnel BEFORE beginning any work.

  • Permits issued to maintenance personnel or contractors may be issued on a daily or weekly basis dependant upon the estimated time needed to complete the work.
  • On large renovation and construction projects, permits will be issued for up to one month, and must be renewed prior to each expiration until work is completed.
  • Permits for hot torch or soldering areas in academic departments will be issued to expire at the end of each semester or summer period. These will be renewable prior to the start of each respective term.
welding worker