Find a Job/Internship-Career and Professional Development Center - Carnegie Mellon University

Find a Job Information for On-Campus Employers

Are you considering working on-campus during the semester? On-campus employment is a great way for you to earn money while at school and also develop professional skills that can aid you in future job searches.  A national survey of Human Resource Directors revealed that 89% thought that work experience during college was as important as grades when hiring students! If this interests you, review the information below for more information about working on campus.

► Searching for On-Campus Jobs in Handshake

Click the link, or watch the video below for steps to help you search for on-campus employment in Handshake:

On-Campus Jobs in Handshake [.pdf]

Graduate Students and the On Campus Job Search [.pdf]

► Types of On-Campus Jobs Available to Students

Work-Study Opportunities

Carnegie Mellon participates in two Work-Study programs:

Non-Work-Study Opportunities

If you are not eligible, or did not apply for financial aid, you can still work on campus. You may apply for any job without (Work-Study) in the title.

Students are paid by the hour on a bi-weekly basis through the Carnegie Mellon Payroll System.

► Apply for On-Campus Jobs and Internships

All students may apply for on-campus jobs. If you are not eligible for work-study, you may apply to any on-campus job that does not have (Work-Study) listed after the title. You can search for these jobs on Handshake.

If you have been approved for work-study, some off-campus jobs are also available to you. These jobs are listed as Off-Campus Federal Community Service and are ususally located close to campus. Even though they are off-campus, you are still able to get paid through work-study as they are both federal programs. You can also look for these opportunities on Handshake.

► Payroll

Prior to your first day of work, you must complete the necessary onboarding steps to ensure you are paid accurately and promptly. Once your department adds your information to Workday, CMU’s human resource system, you will receive an email with onboarding steps in the form of checklist.  You must complete all of the steps on the checklist in a timely manner in order to be paid accurately; please contact your department if you do not receive an email.  If you have any questions regarding the onboarding steps, contact the CMUWorks Service Center at 412.268.4600 or

Use the PDF files below for more information about student payroll and CMU:

► Workday

Workday is Carnegie Mellon’s human resource system. It has a multitude of uses, but as a student, you will mainly be using it to input the hours you work bi-weekly. It is important to submit your hours in a timely manner; this gives your supervisor time to approve your hours and make sure you are paid on time.

If you have any questions about tasks involving Workday, you can find answers in My Workday Toolkit. You can also contact CMUWorks at or 412-268-4600.

Full-time admitted students planning to work on campus should review the following information prior to arrival:

Searching for Jobs in Handshake [.pdf]

What you need to know:

  1. All students interested in working on-campus are responsible for finding and applying for a job. Having a Work-Study award does not guarantee you a job.
  2. Campus jobs are posted online on Handshake.
  3. All undergraduate and graduate students have access to accounts that are pre-loaded into Handshake. Your login information for Handshake is your Andrew ID (login name) and Andrew password.
  4. Once you have found a job, federal laws mandate that all new employees complete the I-9 Federal Employment Eligibility form. You can find more information here.
  5. Student specific resources, including a complete list of student hourly job profiles with standard position summaries, can be found here.

What you need to do:

  1. Find out if you have been granted a Federal Work-Study award. Some jobs will be limited to Work-Study eligible students only. If you applied for financial aid, you will receive a Financial Aid Award Letter at your permanent address regarding your financial aid package, which includes your Work-Study eligibility. You can also view all awards and funding through your SIO acccount.
  2. Browse the Find a Job/Internship website. Find out what you need to know about working on-campus including how to use Handshake, interviewing tips, and other frequently asked questions.
  3. Review Student Payroll Onboarding and Check list.
  4. Create a resume. You will need a resume to apply for any on-campus jobs on Handshake. If you don’t have one, visit this page for assistance on creating a resume.

I'm a first-year student; what do I need to know about on-campus student employment?

The following documents contain information that will be especially helpful to you as a first-year student: What New Student Employees Needs to Know and Professional Expectations for Student Employees.

Am I eligible to work on campus?

A student employee is defined as "an individual whose employment at the university is incidental to the pursuit of obtaining a degree." Any student who is enrolled at least half-time (18 units) in a degree-granting program at Carnegie Mellon can participate in the campus employment program. To qualify to work during the summer session, the student must be admitted to, or continuing in, a degree-granting program at Carnegie Mellon the following fall semester.

How many hours may I work?

Students may work a total of 40.0 hours per week. International students with F1 or J1 visas are allowed by immigration regulations to work on campus for up to 20 hours per week when school is in session and full time during summer and winter breaks. International students should consult with the Office of International Education (Warner Hall, third floor, 412.268.3520) for detailed information about employment regulations.

What do I need to do to make sure I get paid?

The CMUWorks Service Center is the single point of contact for a broad range of services to students working for CMU —everything from answering questions about Time Tracking, to assisting with navigating Workday, to ensuring accurate pay. The information to answer many of your payroll questions can be found here.

If you do not find what you are looking for, please contact the CMUWorks Service Center.

What is Work-Study? How can I find out whether I have a Work-Study award, and how much it is for?

You can find an explanation about what Work-Study is here under On-Campus Opportunities.

What can I do if I want a job in my field but don't see any posted?

Try visiting the main office of the department you are interested in working for and explaining your interest. Offer to leave your name and contact information; even if there are no jobs available right now, positions may become available in the future.

What if I want to be a research assistant or teaching assistant?

Sometimes it seems that professors hire the students they already know. Get to know the professors in your area of interest. Set up an appointment to talk about your interests and ask them for advice. Let them know that you are enthusiastic and available if they need any help.

What if the department or the professors say they don't have any money to hire me?

Ask if they can offer academic credit in the form of an internship, research assistantship, or independent study. If they say yes, make sure you talk with the academic advisor for that department to find out departmental procedures for registration as well as talking to your own academic advisor. In addition to satisfying certain requirements, such as class level, most departments will require you to have a faculty sponsor. The sponsor will direct you and help define the academic component of your work, monitor your progress, and assign a final grade.

What other local part-time jobs are available off-campus?

You can find more local part-time opportunities on Handshake.