Carnegie Mellon University

Scheduling Support


Undergraduate students must hold at least 36 units in order to be considered full-time. Anything below 36 units is considered part-time. Dropping below full-time may affect financial aid eligibility, housing, loan repayment status and Visa status.

Undergraduate students who wish to drop below full-time during the semester must fill out the Petition to drop below full-time. This form should be turned into Baker Hall, A57. From there, the Associate Dean will have to approve the request. It is best for students to meet with their AAC Advisor when considering to drop below full-time.

International Students

International students who wish to drop below full-time should also contact the Office of International Education in addition to filling out the petition to drop below full-time.

Having trouble finding a course to complete your schedule? Below is a list of options to find a course that best suits you:

  • Check out the general education page. The course titles in blue are the ones being offered this current semester.
  • Not sure if you need a general education requirement? Run an academic audit to see how many requirements you have remaining.
  • You may also want to look into the schedule of classes page. This website will allow you to search by department, instructor or time.
  • Try browsing the undergraduate catalog for potential options. Remember, 100 and 200 level courses (e.g. 85-102, 88-221, etc.) are the most appropriate for freshmen and sophomores in terms of the level of difficulty.
  • Students can also consider signing up for music lessons. See your primary advisor for more information.
  • Students interested in research should consider taking a research training course.

Some courses or sections are reserved for students but this will vary.

For example, many of the GenEd courses in the Creating category are reserved for CFA students, so first-year students might find they could not get into a Creating course until their second year. Students' best option would be to meet with their Academic Advisor to check whether or not a particular course has any specific reservations.

Students will find that there are instances in which courses have pre-requisites, which means a student will first have to take course "A" in order to take "B".

Pre-requisites are listed in the undergraduate catalog next to each individual course. When searching for courses through Student Information Online (SIO)students will also be able to view whether a course has a pre-requisite by clicking on the course.

When having trouble finding out if a course has a pre-requisite, students are encouraged to contact their Academic Advisor.


If you are placed on a "hold" for academic reasons, contact your Academic Advisor.


Some students are placed on a "hold" for financial reasons and will want to contact The HUB to find out what needs to be done in order to have the hold removed.

Normal Load

A normal load consists of 5 courses (45 units), but this will vary depending upon how many units each course is. If taking 45 units each semester, students will be on pace for graduation within 4 years.


Students who are permitted to overload may register for 6 full courses (9-12 units). Anything beyond 6 full courses is NOT permitted.


Students must have a total of 360 units to graduate with a minimum Q.P.A. of 2.0. The 360 must not consist of more than 9 units of 69-xxx, ROTC (30-xxx, 31-xxx, 32-xxx) and 98-xxx courses combined.

Undeclared, first-year students who have been waitlisted for a course that is required for a particular major should not panic. All majors within Dietrich College are designed to be completed in no more than two years. Students are not considered behind for a particular major despite being waitlisted for one of the core classes in their first year. Most of the courses required for each major are reserved for students who have already declared the major.

Every department has different procedures regarding waitlists. If waitlisted for a course, students are encouraged to find a backup course. If admitted into the waitlisted course at a later date, then the backup course can always be dropped.