Carnegie Mellon University

International Research

International Research Involving Human Subjects

In the event research is being conducted outside of the USA, please contact the IRB office for guidance.  The human subject protection requirements for each country must be considered.  Typically local review is required. Please contact the Research Regulatory Compliance Office at 412-268-1901, 412-268-7166 or by email at

Foreign Travel Guidance

Any faculty, researchers and staff traveling to a foreign country on behalf of their position at CMU, the Office of Research Integrity and Compliance (ORIC) would like to brief you on some important updates before you leave. Generally, there are no problems or delays associated with your travel to most countries.  However, due to heightened government security, export laws, and regulations concerning university research and activities, we must demonstrate awareness at CMU for foreign travel risks when traveling on behalf of CMU. Please review the following foreign travel guidance section and let ORIC know if you have any questions or concerns. Please contact The Export Compliance Group by email at