Carnegie Mellon University

Sponsored and Reimbursed Travel

Investigators are required to disclose any reimbursed or sponsored travel for the past 12 months if that travel is related to the Investigator’s FCOI or OAs, regardless of dollar value. 

Disclosure of sponsored and reimbursed travel should be made by submitting a Disclosure Profile Update within SPARCS within 30 days of the travel as it occurs. 

Investigators do not need to disclose reimbursed or sponsored travel if it was sponsored or reimbursed by any of the following:

  • CMU or a CMU sponsored award
  • A U.S. federal, state or local government entity,
  • A U.S. institution of higher education,
  • A U.S. academic teaching hospital
  • A U.S. medical center, or
  • A U.S. research institute affiliated with an US institution of higher education.

Investigators must disclose these types of income if they come from non-U.S. governments, non-U.S universities, or other non-U.S entities.

Travel paid for by professional societies must be disclosed unless it falls into one of the exemptions listed above. 

When you disclose sponsored and reimbursed travel, you should provide the following information:

  • Purpose of the trip,
  • Identity of the sponsor/organizer,
  • The destination, 
  • Approximate start and end dates, and
  • The estimated value of the travel.