Carnegie Mellon University
Foreign Travel

Foreign Travel: Know Before You Go

Faculty, researchers and staff travel to foreign countries frequently on behalf of their position at CMU and the Office of Research Integrity and Compliance (ORIC) would like to brief you on some important updates before you leave. Generally, there are no problems or delays associated with your travel to most countries.  However, due to heightened government security and export laws and regulations concerning university research and activities, we must demonstrate awareness at CMU for foreign travel risks when traveling on behalf of CMU. Please read the following and let ORIC know if you have any questions or concerns.

1) If you will be taking your laptop or other common electronic devices to a foreign country, please ensure that there is no source code or technical know-how (e.g. designs, schematics, non-public technical data) on your computer, flash drive, mobile device, etc.  It is best to take a clean laptop and leave your unpublished research data at home or CMU.

2) If you will be carrying any other tangible items like equipment, samples, prototypes, etc., please complete the Foreign Travel Checklist [PDF] and submit to  for an export review.

3) If you are traveling to or through any country of concern regardless of the research or activity, please contact the Export Compliance Group at  for support and guidance related to the following:

a. Performing a Restricted Party Screening on individuals or entities with whom you will be meeting to ensure they are not on any restricted lists issued by the U.S. Government;

b. What you should and should not disclose/present while on your trip;

c. Implications of any materials (tangible or electronic) you intend to carry with you on your trip. If needed, ORIC can provide a travel letter on CMU letterhead that will describe the materials you are carrying with you and any relevant export control categorizations and or licenses. This letter can be presented to customs and duties agencies if you are questioned at any point during your travels.

Note that travel to any country or region comprehensively embargoed by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) will always require export review and may require a license prior to travel.  Comprehensively sanctioned OFAC countries are a highlighted subset of the CMU Countries of Concern list.

4) Additionally, some countries may have travel warnings issued by the Department of State with special instructions for Americans traveling to those countries.  Please consult the U.S. Department of State Travel Advisories so you will always have the most up to date information. Please feel free to contact ORIC for a travel briefing for high risk countries or any other concerns.  If you have trouble while you are abroad with foreign government export/import procedures please contact the Export Compliance Group at .  If you have concerns about your safety while traveling, please contact International SOS at +1 215 942 8226 (CMU’s membership number is 11BCPA000144).