- Lingdong Huang (BCSA 2019) created the world’s first successful programming language based on the Classical Chinese grammar system. Wenyan-lang uses the same tone and syntax found in Classical Chinese literature rather than merely replacing English characters with Chinese.
- Zaria Howard (BHA 2018) and a team in the STUDIO for Creative Inquiry received an $80,000 NEH grant to apply machine learning and computer vision to identify, annotate and organize the Teenie Harris Archive, making it more easily searchable by scholars and the public. Held by the Carnegie Museum of Art, the archive is one of the most important records of African-American life in the mid-20th century.
- John Choi (BCSA 2017), Swartz Center for Entrepreneurship Innovation Scholar, is the first recipient of the Tellerman Family Innovation Scholarship. He created the startup Choitek, an Olympus PROBE Project, that aims to bring an easy-to-build robot kit to market and was part of the CMU contingent honored at the National Maker Faire in Washington, D.C.
- Jacqueline Barnes (BHA 2016) was selected as an inaugural Highlights Foundation Diversity Fellow for authors and illustrators of color creating stories to enrich and diversify children’s literature.
Jake Berntsen (BHA 2016) is a member of the popular brass band Beauty Slap. He created new technology to live mix electronic funk dance music with the instrumentalists' brass sound. The group released their first full-length album and frequently books shows across the country.
- Kaytie Nielsen (BHA 2016) has been named a Marshall Scholar. She is studying screenwriting in the United Kingdom, building on her successes in filmmaking and social justice advocacy. Katie previously won a nationally competitive fellowship from the Henry Luce Foundation. The award provides stipends, language training and individualized professional placement in Asia for individuals from various fields and backgrounds who have limited exposure to Asian culture. She also received a Fulbright Award as a first-year creative writing and directing student.
Harrison Apple, PhD (BHA 2013) is the founding co-director of the Pittsburgh Queer History Project, an oral history and media preservation project focused on working-class LGBTQ histories and nightlife in Pittsburgh. Harrison’s work has been published in Transgender Studies Quarterly, Out history.org and Introduction to Transgender Studies.
- Kathy "Yaeji" Lee (BHA 2015) is a rising singer, DJ and producer who is packing clubs and festivals internationally. Known for her unique style of mixing American and Korean lyrics, she has played Coachella and Lollapalooza, covered Fader magazine, highlighted as Billboard Dance's "Ones to Watch" and selected as Forbes' "30 Under 30" for topping music charts and shifting culture.
Read More Accomplishments
- Sarah Ceurvorst (BHA 2013) was chosen as an Art21 Educator, providing a year-long intensive experience that focuses on ways contemporary art can support learning. She was previously awarded the 2017 Pennsylvania Art Education Association’s Early Career Art Educator Award.
- Courtney Wittekind (BHA 2013) received a rare National Science Foundation fellowship in the social sciences and is Carnegie Mellon’s first student to win the Rhodes Scholarship in the arts and humanities. She is working toward a PhD at Harvard after completing a MPhil at Oxford focusing on art, activism, and anthropology on behalf of displaced persons and refugees.
Robyn Gray (BCSA 2011) is co-founder of two independent game studios, Other World Interactive and The Elsewhere Company, that design narrative experiences and program immersive worlds. Her work has won several awards at game and film festivals including Sundance.
- David Lasky (BHA 2009) carved the crucifix for the 2015 Papal visit to Madison Square Garden as Tait Tower’s lead sculptor. He also designs and fabricates scenic stage elements for music stars including Lady Gaga, Bon Jovi, Madonna, One Direction, Katy Perry, Skrillex and Britney Spears.
- Natasha Patamapongs (BHA 2008, MEIM 2018) performed at the Thai White House for the Prime Minister and his council with the Mahidol University Jazz Orchestra as part of the United As One gala for over 6,000 people directly involved with the Thai Cave Rescue.
Jonathan Minard (BHA 2007) is co-writer and director of the film "Archive," winner of the Sundance Institute 2015 Sloan Fellowship to support science and technology themes. He also created Clouds, an interactive movie presented in virtual reality, which premiered as part of New Frontier at the Sundance Film Festival in 2014, and was awarded Best Interactive Film at the Tribeca Film Festival.
- Kim Markel (BHA 2006, HNZ 2007) is named by Dwell as their "Young Guns 2017: New Designers Making Waves" for her recycled plastic Glow Chair, which received several design and innovation awards.
- Diane Loviglio (BHA 2005) is currently a Lead User Experience Researcher at Google after they acquired her successful startup Boon + Gable, an online style service that raised $2.5 million in seed funding and whose retail partners included Neiman Marcus, J.Crew and Bloomingdale's.
Berit Nowicki (BHA 2005) created Emotive Agility and provides coaching and corporate training. She specialize in body language and emotional intelligence training to communicate and manage emotions in her clients’ personal and professional lives.
Sola Fasehun (BHA 2004) began an independent film company Fasehun Films. She has earned nominations and awards at Cannes and other film festivals as producer for numerous short and feature films. Her production credits also inculde Broadway's revival of Godspell starring Orange is the New Black's Uzo Aduba.
- Joana Ricou (BSA 2004) is named one of the “14 Emerging Women Artists to Watch in 2017” by artnet News. Her belief that art can both support and contribute to science and vice-versa has led to collaborations with galleries, schools and museums in Portugal and the USA, including the Andy Warhol Museum, the Carnegie Science Center, Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh and Ponce Museo de Arte (Puerto Rico) among others. In 2012, Joana received a fellowship from the STUDIO for Creative Inquiry at Carnegie Mellon University and a Spark award from the Sprout Fund. Joana received commissions to support her exploration of the microbiome as an artistic medium from the Eden Project and the Wellcome Trust (2015) and, from the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences (2016).
Leah Messina (BHA 2003) is Sinuate Media’s CEO and founder who launched in 2006. Her marketing consulting firm emphasizes the collaboration between digital and traditional strategies. This guiding principle is embodied in her concept of organic marketing TM, a widely used term in the digital marketing space to describe the fusion of social media with emerging technology, barter media and traditional marketing methods to provide engaging and effective search results.
Laura Gonzalez (BSA 2002) is the CEO, principal developer and product designer specializing in 3D interactive visualization for her company Dynamoid.
- Pamela Jordan (BHA 2002) and Brian Mathias (BHA 2007) have been granted the German Chancellor Fellowship.
Carrie Schneider’s (BHA 2001) solo exhibition of photography "Reading Women" was the first show in the relaunch of CMU’s Miller Gallery to the Miller Institute for Contemporary Art. She was a Fulbright Fellow whose work is held by the Art Institute of Chicago, the Museum of Contemporary Photography in Chicago and the Canadian Centre for Architecture in Montreal, Quebec.
- Jessica Phillips-Silver (BHA 1999) is an associate researcher in neuroscience and adjunct professor of music at Georgetown University. She documented the first case of the musical disorder "beat deafness," and has studied people who have trouble connecting physically with rhythm.
BXA Class of 2022 Honors
Nikolas Diamant +*=
Alexander D. Kampas +*
Sanjay Salem *
Winfred Wang *
Perry Naseck +*
Justin Villalon *
Rouan Chen +*
Olivia Cunnally +*
Evelyn DiSalvo +*=
Justin Gotzis +
Lily Kincannon *=
Eileen Lee +*
Sanna Legan +
Cindy Liu +*
Zofia Majewski +*
Shambhavi Mishra +*<
Liam O’Connell *
Annalyn Smith +*
Katherine Stargiotti +*
Emily Stark +*=
Song Tang +*
Calvin Wamser +*
Gillian Bartholomew +
Miles Scharff +*
EA Additional Major
James Crews *
Sophia Paul +^*
+ University Honors
* BXA Intercollege Honors
^ College of Engineering Honors
= College of Fine Arts Honors
< Dietrich College Honors
BXA Intercollege Deans' List Fall 2022
Lillian Van Veen