Assistant Professor, Chemistry
BioYisong Guo received his B.S. from Fudan University and a Ph.D. in Applied Science from the University of California, Davis. Guo is the founder of the Guo Group. The Guo Group consists of bioinorganic spectroscopists working in an interdisciplinary field where efforts from biochemists, synthetic chemists, physicists, and spectroscopists are joined together to understand the mechanisms of chemical transformations catalyzed on the metal centers inside metalloproteins. The chemical principles discovered through our research will have strong implications for alternative energy research and human health.
B.S., Department of Material Science, Fudan University, China
Ph.D. Department of Applied Science, University of California, Davis
ResearchBy utilizing advanced spectroscopic techniques, such as paramagnetic resonance, nuclear absorption, and synchrotron radiation based methods, Guo and his research group are trying to gain molecular level insights into the mechanisms of bio energy conversion catalyzed on the metal centers inside metalloproteins. The chemical principles discovered through our research will have strong implications for alternative energy research.
- Spencer C. Peck, Chen Wang, Laura M. K. Dessama, Bo Zhang, Yisong Guo, Lauren J. Rajakovich, J. Martin Biollinger Jr., Carsten Krebs, Wilfred A. van de Donk “O-H Activation by an Unexpected Ferryl Intermediate during Catalysis by 2-Hydroxyethylphosphonate Dioxygenase” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 139: 2045–2052, 2017.
- David W. Mulder,† Yisong Guo,†* Michael W. Ratzloff, Paul W. King* “Identification of a Catalytic Iron-Hydride at the H-cluster of [FeFe]-Hydrogenase” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 139: 83–86, 2017.
- Ang Zhou, Jai Prakash, Gregory Rohde, Johannes Klein, Scott Kleespies, Apparao Draksharapu, Ruixi Fan, Yisong Guo,* Christopher Cramer,* Lawrence Que Jr.* “The Two Faces of Tetramethylcyclam in Iron Chemistry: Distinct Fe-O-M Complexes Derived from [FeIV(Oanti/syn)(TMC)]2+ Isomers” Inorg. Chem. 56: 518–527, 2017.
- Ethan A. Hill, Andrew C. Weitz, Elizabeth Onderko, Yisong Guo,* Marcel Swart, Emile L. Bominaar,* Michael T. Green,* Michael P. Hendrich,* David C. Lacy,* Andy S. Borovik,* “Reactivity of an Fe(IV)-Oxo Complex with Protons and Oxidants” J. Am. Chem. Soc.138: 13143–13146, 2016.
- Yisong Guo,†* Carlos Echavarri-Erasun,† Marie Demuez, Emilio Jiménez-Vicente, Emile L. Bominaar,* Luis M. Rubio* “The Nitrogenase FeMo-cofactor Precursor Formed by NifB Protein: A Diamagnetic Eight Iron Atoms” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 41: 12764–12767, 2016.