Xuesong (Pine) Liu
Assistant Research Professor , Civil and Environmental Engineering
BioXuesong (Pine) Liu holds a bachelors degree in Civil Engineering from Tsinghua University (Beijing, China), a Masters of Civil & Environmental and a Masters of Information Technology – Software Engineering from Carnegie Mellon University. In 2012 he completed his PhD in Civil Engineering at Carnegie Mellon University. From 2012 to 2015, Liu served as the Asset Preservation Manager at the Dept. of Facilities Management Services. He also taught three graduate courses on programming, computational approaches and building information modeling as an adjunct professor in CEE.
Ph.D. 2012 - Carnegie Mellon University
MS 2008 & 2009 - Carnegie Mellon University
BS 2007 - Tsinghua University
Liu's research focuses on investigation of big data analytics to manage, visualize and process building information to support efficient facilities management. Particularly, Liu develops approaches that integrate data from Building Information Models and Building Automation Systems, and apply artificial intelligence to analyze energy performance of building systems.
Research Group: AIS
- Liu, X., B. Akinci, Garrett, J. and Bergés, M. (2014). "Domain-Specific Querying Formalisms for Retrieving Information about HVAC Systems," ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, Special Issue on Special Issue on Computational Approaches to Understand and Reduce Energy Consumption in the Built Environment, 2014, 28:1, 40-49
- Liu, X., B. Akinci, Garrett, J. and Bergés, M. (2013). "Extending The Information Delivery Manual Approach to Identify Information Requirements For Performance Analysis of HVAC Systems," Advanced Engineering Informatics, Volume 27, Issue 4, October 2013, Pages 496-505.
- Liu, X., B. Akinci, Garrett, J. and Bergés, M. (2012). "An Integrated Performance Analysis Framework for HVAC Systems Using Heterogeneous Data Models and Building Automation Systems," 4th ACM Workshop On Embedded Systems For Energy-Efficiency In Buildings 2012, 6, November 2012, Toronto, Canada.
- Liu, X., M. Eybpoosh, B. Akinci (2012). "Developing As-built Building Information Model Using Construction Process History Captured by a Laser Scanner and a Camera," Construction Research Congress 2012, 21-23, May 2012, West Lafayette, IN, U.S.
- Akcamete, A., Liu, X., B. Akinci, and Garrett, J. (2011). "Integrating and Visualizing Maintenance and Repair Work Orders In BIM: Lessons Learned From A Prototype," CONVR 2011, International Conference On Construction Applications of Virtual Reality, 3-4, November 2011. Weimar, Germany.
- Liu, X. and Akinci, B. (2009) "Requirements and Evaluation of Standards for Integration of Sensor Data with Building Information Models," 2009 ASCE International Workshop on Computing in Civil Engineering, June 24-27, 2009, Austin, TX, U.S.