Associate Professor, Material Science and Engineering, Biomedical Engineering
BioTzahi Cohen-Karni is an Associate Professor in the Departments of Biomedical Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering. He received both his B.Sc. degree in Materials Engineering and the B.A. degree in Chemistry from the Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel. He obtained his M.Sc. degree in Chemistry from Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel, and his Ph.D. in Applied Physics from the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University. He was a Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) Postdoctoral Fellow at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Boston Children’s Hospital at the labs of Robert Langer and Daniel S. Kohane. He was awarded the NSF CAREER Award in 2016.
B.Sc. degree in Materials Engineering, Technion Israel Institute of Technology
B.A. degree in Chemistry, Technion Israel Institute of Technology
M.Sc. degree in Chemistry, Weizmann Institute of Science
Ph.D. in Applied Physics, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University
ResearchTzahi's research includes bottom-up synthesis of nanomaterials such as nanowires and graphene for biomedical and energy related applications. His expertise is in tailoring the interfaces topology and the physical/chemical properties (such as electrical properties) for energy harvesting and sensing applications. A key effort of his research is the formation of hybrid structures composed of 2D and 1D nanomaterials that can potentially be used for energy storage, solar energy harvesting and sensing (photodetectors).
Tzahi's current research projects include:
- Nanomaterial synthesis
- Cell-cell communication and network function
- Cell-nanostructure interaction
- Biomolecule-nanostructure interaction
- R. Garg*, S.K. Rastogi*, M. Lamparski, S. de la Barrera, G.T. Pace, N.T. Nuhfer, B.M. Hunt, V. Meunier, T. Cohen-Karni, , “Nanowire-Mesh Templated Growth of Out-of-Plane Three-Dimensional Fuzzy Graphene,” ACS Nano. (2017), 11 (6), pp 6301–6311
- S.K. Rastogi, G. Raghavan, G. Yang, T. Cohen-Karni, “Effect of Graphene on Nonneuronal and Neuronal Cell Viability and Stress,” Nano Lett. (2017), 17 (5), pp 3297–3301
E. Mataev*, S.K. Rastogi*, A. Madhusudan*, J. Bone, N. Lamprinakos, Y. Picard, T. Cohen-Karni, “Synthesis of Group IV Nanowires on Graphene: The Case of Ge Nanocrawlers,” Nano Lett. (2016), 16 (8), pp 5267–5272
- D. Gabriel, T. Cohen‐Karni, D. Huang, H.H. Chiang, D.S. Kohane, “Photoactive electrospun fibers for inducing cell death,” Adv. Health Mater., 3, 494–499 (2014).
- T. Cohen‐Karni‡, T. Dvir‡, “Advanced technologies for engineering tissue mimetics,” Isr. J. Chem., 53, 630-636 (2013).