Peter Scupelli (CS 2009, A 2002)
Nierenberg Associate Professor of Design, School of DesignDownload Hi-res Photo
Peter's teaching and research focus on two fundamental topics necessary to bring two aspects of sustainability into design practice: first, aligning short term design action to long term vision goals, and second, embedding values into design processes. In Dexign Futures students learn to combine Design Thinking with Futures Thinking to align short design action and long term vision goals. In Design Ethos and Action students learn how to embed values related to sustainability into everyday life, organizations, and design practice.
- Ph.D in Human-Computer Interaction, School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University (2009)
- M.S. in Human-Computer Interaction, School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University (2006)
- M.Des. in Interaction Design, School of Design, Carnegie Mellon University (2002)
- Laurea in Architettura, Universitá di Genova, Italy (1998)
Peter’s current research focus is on sustainability centered learning environments.
- Yun, R., Aziz, A., Lasternas, B., Loftness, V., Scupelli, P., & Zhang, C. (2017). The persistent effectiveness of online feedback and controls for sustainability in the workplace. Energy Efficiency, 10(5), 1143-1153.
- Yun, R., Aziz, A., Scupelli, P., Lasternas, B., Zhang, C., & Loftness, V. (2015, April). Beyond eco-feedback: adding online manual and automated controls to promote workplace sustainability. In Proceedings of the 33rd Annual ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 1989-1992). ACM.
Yun, R., Scupelli, P., Aziz, A., Lasternas, B., Loftness, V. & Wilberforce, N. (2014) Investigating sustainability stages in the workplace. Conference of Design, User Experience, and Usability.
Yun, R., Aziz, A., Lasternas, B., Zhang, C., Loftness, V. Scupelli, P., Mo, Y., Zhao, J., & Wilberforce, N. (2014) The design and evaluation of intelligent energy dashboard for sustainability in the workplace. Proceedings of the HCI International Conference.
Yun, R., Scupelli, P., Aziz, A., & Loftness, V., (2013) Sustainability in the workplace: Nine intervention techniques for behavior change. Proceedings of the Persuasive Technology Conference 2013.
Yun, R., Lasternas, B., Aziz, A., Loftness, V., Scupelli, P., Rowe, A., Kothari, R., Marion, F., & Zhao, J. (2013) Toward the Design of a Dashboard to Promote Environmentally Sustainable Behavior among Office Workers. Proceedings of the Persuasive Technology Conference 2013.