CMUniverse is a virtual mentoring platform that lets students choose how and when they want to engage with alumni. Alumni can provide advice on topics like:
Job search and interview strategies
Career paths and industry trends
Choosing a major
Applying to grad school
Resume or cover letter advice
Challenges with school, job, outlook, etc.
Responsibilities and recommendations
Wondering what responsibilities you have as a flash mentee or mentor? We'll go over those and some recommendations below.
Recommendations for students:
- Be curious - Whether you're searching for connections or prepping for your first meeting, think about what you want to learn from alumni.
- Respect your mentor's time - Be on time for the meeting, and make things as easy as possible for the mentor in terms of scheduling and logistics.
- Don't ask for a job - Ask for advice and about your mentor's experience instead!
Recommendations for alumni / mentors:
- Be patient - Some students may not have done informational interviews or networking before.
- Meet the where they're at - Students may be at different stages in their education or career.
- Provide feedback - To the student as well as to the staff at CMU to ensure we are providing proper guidance for students to conduct themselves appropriately and effectively.