Biomaterials & Tissue Engineering (BMTE) Track
The BMTE track addresses issues at the interface of materials science, biology and engineering. The topics include the interactions between materials and cells or tissues, the effects of such interactions on cells and tissues, the design of materials for biological applications, and the engineering of new tissues.
The BMTE track is ideal for students interested in combining the education of Biomedical Engineering with Materials Science & Engineering or with Chemical Engineering. Both provide the necessary foundation in chemistry and/or materials science. Students of this track may develop careers in biotechnology, tissue engineering, biopharmaceuticals, and medical devices that leverage materials properties.
In addition to the Biomedical Engineering core requirements, students must fulfill the following requirements:
- One (1) Required BMTE Elective
- Two (2) BMTE Electives (either Required or Additional)
Required Electives (must take at least one of the following)42-610 Introduction to Biomaterials (9)
42-611 Engineering Biomaterials (12)
42-612/27-520 Tissue Engineering (12)
42-670 Biomaterial Host Interactions in Regenerative Medicine (12)
03-320 Cell Biology (9)
42-613 Polymeric Biomaterials (9)
42-620 Engineering Molecular Cell Biology (12)
42-624 Biological Transport and Drug Delivery (9)
42-643 Microfluidics (12)
42-673 Stem Cell Engineering (9)
42-676 Bio-nanotechnology: Principles and Applications (9)
* The 42-x00 research project (42-200/300/400 Sophomore/Junior/Senior Biomedical Engineering Research Project OR 39-500 CIT Honors Research Project) must be on a BME topic that is aligned to the track, supervised or co-supervised by a BME faculty member, and conducted for 9 or more units of credit.
Some Special Topics and newly offered or intermittently offered courses may be acceptable as BMTE track electives. Students should consult with their BME advisors and petition the BME Undergraduate Affairs Committee for permission to include such courses as BMTE track electives.
- Sample Schedule for Materials Science & Engineering Majors
- Sample Schedule for Chemical Engineering Majors