Skip to main content
Carnegie Mellon University homepage Carnegie Mellon University Wordmark

You're Admitted!

Because You're the Kind to Ask the Important Questions

Margaret Morrison building in spring

How will COVID-19 impact the Fall 2021 semester?

With access to vaccines now widely available, there is much progress and hope on the horizon; we'll monitor virus prevalence, variants and vaccine adoption to help inform our decisions in the weeks and months ahead. 

We're optimistic for the new academic year and eager to welcome our community, including new students, back to campus with a resumption of operations to support as many in-person experiences as possible, both inside and outside the classroom. The university is committed to prioritizing the on-campus experience for our students while continuing some of the successful innovative teaching methods designed over the last year. 

Learn more about our plans for the 2021-2022 Academic Semesters.

For COVID-19 related protocols and updates at Carnegie Mellon, please review visit our COVID-19 Response page and the COVID-19 Updates website.

Am I able to visit campus before making my enrollment decision?

As a complement to our online visit opportunities, we're offering admitted students limited registration for Carnegie Mellon's Outdoor Campus Walking Route. By registering for the Walking Route, you'll have the opportunity to walk an outdoor path around campus for one hour and can bring up to two guests to join you.

I applied for financial aid. Where can I view my financial aid offer?

Regular Decision applicants who have submitted all required financial documents should receive a financial aid offer on their Where Am I In the Process? portals. The offer should appear next to your admission letter on the portal, but it won't show unless you've viewed your admission letter first.

Can my financial aid offer change from year to year?

Yes. The most common reasons why your financial aid offer could change include:

  • Increase or decrease in family income
  • Change in the number of family members in college
  • Change in household size
  • Increase in cost of attendance
  • Receipt of an outside scholarship
  • Unsatisfactory academic progress

You'll need to apply for financial aid each year because the information used to determine your eligibility may change annually.

When and how is housing assigned?

Housing applications are due May 31 and you can expect to learn your housing assignment in early July. The First-Year housing site provides more details about the assignments process and roommate matching. 

Once you've submitted your enrollment deposit and have your Andrew ID, you can begin the housing application. 

How do dining plans work for first-year students?

All first-year students are required to have a dining plan. Plans vary in meals/blocks and flexible spending dollars. A block can be used to purchase a meal from any of the dining locations on campus. Flexible dollars can be spent at these same locations for any number of items and are not restricted to a full meal. DineXtra (or flexible dollars) can be purchased in addition to a dining plan. Students should select the dining plan that best reflects their lifestyle and dining habits.

How and when do I get my Andrew ID?

You'll receive information on how to set up your Andrew Account, including your Andrew ID, once you enroll. This will allow you to access most of Carnegie Mellon's online resources for students over the summer. Physical ID cards will not be distributed until you arrive on campus for Orientation week in the fall.

To set up your Andrew account and initial password, you’ll use the First Pass process. You’ll receive an email from Computing Services, @email, with the subject line: Retrieve your Andrew ID. This email will be sent one week after submitting your enrollment deposit and contains a link to access your Andrew ID. This link will expire after 30 days. Please follow the First Pass process and further instructions carefully to finalize your Andrew Account.

When do first-year students schedule classes?

The process for registering for classes varies across our colleges. You will be contacted by an academic advisor by mid-June with more detailed information regarding registration for classes. 

Learn more about the course registration process for each college.

Will I receive credit for my AP/IB/dual enrollment courses?

At Carnegie Mellon, each college or school creates their own curriculum and thus decides how AP or IB exams contribute toward your degree. Carnegie Mellon may grant advanced placement and credit for 4s and 5s on AP exams taken in the CEEB Advanced Placement program or for 6s and 7s on IB exams. Visit The Hub's credit awarding page for more information on the guidelines for receiving credit.

Who do I contact if I’m interested in a minor or double major?

We’re often asked if it’s possible to double major, or major and minor, or creatively combine two areas of study across our undergraduate colleges. For instance, is it possible to study both science and music, engineering and business, or art and computer science? The answer is almost always yes.

If you're interested in applying for a minor or second major, we recommend letting your academic advisor know when they first reach out to you in mid-June. Every college at Carnegie Mellon handles these programs slightly differently, and your advisor will be able to guide you through the process of scheduling classes to fulfill your program requirements.

How do I join clubs or student organizations once I’m on campus?

The FAIR is a showcase for our 400+ student organizations, 25 Greek organizations and 25+ arts, cultural and outdoor recreation partners from the Pittsburgh community. The largest fair occurs in September and is followed by an additional fair in January.

At The FAIR, you’ll be able to mingle with the different representatives of student organizations. After the fair is completed, you’ll be notified of upcoming meetings or events from various groups.

Can I have a car on campus? What’s campus parking/transportation like?

Students are able to have a car on-campus, but it will be at the cost of a parking permit. We’re in an urban environment, and parking off-campus may be difficult without a permit. If you're interested, you may apply for a parking permit through the Parking & Transportation Services website.

All students are provided with access to Pittsburgh's Port Authority Transit buses/light rail system through their ID card, which is included in the cost of attendance. Public transportation will take you to virtually every area of Pittsburgh!

Is it possible to defer my admission/take a gap year? What is the process for deferring?

Admitted students can defer their enrollment one year at a time for up to two consecutive years as long as they agree not to apply to or enroll in a full- or part-time degree-granting program at another college or university in the interim. Since all first-year students are required to enter the university during the fall semester, deferrals for one semester only are not permitted. An approved deferral will secure your place in the incoming class for the following fall. To request a deferral or gap year, simply submit your enrollment deposit and email the Office of Admission letting us know you'd like to defer or take a gap year. We'll then send you an official enrollment deferral/gap year request form. Please note that your request isn't approved until our office processes it and sends you an official confirmation letter.

How can I get from the airport to campus?

The Pittsburgh Port Authority(opens in new window) Transit shuttle buses run every day from Pittsburgh International Airport to Carnegie Mellon. The 28X Airport Shuttle service is available every day from 5:30 a.m. to midnight and costs $2.75 each way (you'll need exact change). The shuttle leaves the airport from the lower level ground transportation stop (follow the signs located in the baggage claim area) and stops directly in front of the university, just past Morewood Avenue. The trip will take approximately 60 minutes, depending on the time of day.

student petting a Scottish Terrier

Looking for More?

Check out the Office of Admission Instagram page where we post even more helpful information and resources.