Carnegie Mellon University


Division of Enrollment Services


Advanced Placement (AP) & International Baccalaureate (IB) Credit

Carnegie Mellon may grant advanced placement and credit for scores of four and five on exams taken in the CEEB Advanced Placement program. When the test is taken, students should be sure to request that the results be sent to Carnegie Mellon. International students will only be given credit for scores on Higher Level (HL) exams of six or seven. 

Transfer Credit

If students want to take courses at other schools over the summer or during a leave of absence, they can often be awarded transfer credit at Carnegie Mellon. This credit can satisfy CMU requirements and count toward graduation. It's a good idea to determine how credit will count before spending time and money on the course. Students should make an appointment with their advisor and take the following information:

  • Name of the college or university student will attend
  • The school's course number and title for the considered classes
  • The course description for each class (a paragraph from a course catalog or website is fine)
  • The name and number of the Carnegie Mellon course the student would like this to substitute

The student's advisor can determine whether the courses will transfer and how those courses will look on the Carnegie Mellon transcript. Transfer credits will only record the units/credits earned, not the grade, unless the course is taken at one of the Cross-Registration (PCHE) affiliates.