The Office of Tartan Ink provides administrative support for ordering copyright permissions to help you and your department to comply with copyright law. Copyright permission should be obtained for materials used in the classroom from course packets to articles posted on Canvas. Unless material expressly states that there is no fee for distribution or that the material is free to reuse, copyright permission must be obtained to distribute in a course.
If your course packet contains any material from sources such as journals, books, magazines, newspapers, or the Internet, copyright permission is required. Even though it is for educational use, and may only be one page, it does not fall under fair use.
We can obtain copyright permission for you. Keep in mind that the permissions process may take as long as eight weeks.
To ensure printed course materials are available when needed, please submit the course pdfs or hard copies along with the appropriate forms by the deadlines listed below. All course packs submitted after those dates may not be available for the start of the semester.
Obtaining Copyright Permission
To get started, follow the steps below:
- Complete the Copyright Request Form [xls] for each class and with information for each book, journal, etc. Missing information will increase the time needed to complete requests.
- Email the completed document to Elizabeth Paez.
- The Office of Tartan Ink will obtain copyright clearance and reply with the price. Adjustments to the materials can be made before printing or the start of the course, whichever comes first.
- Once approved, you have the option to print the course packets with the Office of Tartan Ink. Pdfs are required for printing, but hard copies are also accepted.
- If creating a course packet, a proof is created for approval. The course packet proofs MUST be approved before the copies for students are created.
- The course packets can distributed according to department policy. If students are required to pay for course packets, the course packets can be sold at the Bookstore. Currently, we are unable to sell completed course packets at our locations.
The copyright clearance is valid for one semester.
Below are the deadlines to submit copyright requests for each mini. We attempt to accommodate late requests, but approval may not be given for the start of the mini.
|Mini||Copyright Deadline||Start Date|
|Mini 6 Summer 2019||Monday, June 3, 2019||Monday, July 1, 2019|
|Mini 1 Fall 2019||Monday, July 15, 2019||Monday, August 26, 2019|
|Mini 2 Fall 2019||Monday, September 9, 2019||Monday, October 21, 2019|
|Mini 3 Spring 2020||Monday, December 2, 2019||Monday, January 13, 2020|
|Mini 4 Spring 2020||Monday, February 3, 2019||Monday, March 16, 2020|
|Mini 5 Summer 2020||Monday, April 20, 2020||Monday, May 18, 2020|
For more information on copyrights, please contact Elizabeth Paez.