Your Campus Keystone
Bridging our community with the rest of the world.
Postal Services Change of Hours and Access
Until Further Notice:
**New hours effective 15 February 2021**
Retail Operations/Front Counter: Monday through Friday, 10:00AM - 3:00PM
SMC Package Pickup and Departmental Mail Holds Pickup: Monday through Friday, 9:00AM - 4:00PM
Cohen University Center: Monday through Friday, 8:00AM - 6:00PM and Saturday through Sunday, 10:00AM - 6:00PM
Our reputation is our stamp on every piece of mail we deliver.
This site will familiarize you with the mail services offered at Carnegie Mellon University Postal Services. We hope it will assist you in obtaining the best possible mailing results in the most cost-effective manner.
We will accomplish this by empowering and training our staff to work as a team with continuous improvement as our team goal.
We are here to help you and will be happy to answer questions and assist you in successfully planning and completing your projects.
USPS Rate Changes Effective 24 January 2021
Additional details can be found in the original document.
Will CMU Postal Services continue to deliver and pick up campus mail?
- Postal Services continues to collect and deliver campus mail to any department capable of receiving the mail. Any department that is not currently open to receive mail will have their mail held at the Post Office on the lower level of the Cohon University Center. An authorized departmental representative may claim a department’s mail/parcels from that location. Please contact us at 412-268-2929 or email@example.com if you wish to resume regular deliveries to your department.
Will other carriers like UPS/FedEx/DHL continue to deliver packages?
- We have arranged for the local route drivers for UPS/FedEx/DHL to have exterior building door access so they can reach internal departments. We recommend that you include contact information for the person on campus who is accepting the package. Also, consider if a member of the department will be available to receive the delivery, as Postal Services is not authorized to accept packages for departments or individuals.
- If you experience any difficulties with any non-USPS carrier deliveries, please contact the carrier first. If you cannot resolve the delivery issue or cannot contact the carrier, please contact CMU Postal Services at 412-268-2929 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Will Amazon packages be delivered?
- Amazon's delivery model does not include a local route driver. We recommend that you coordinate carefully with Amazon deliveries. Please contact the carrier directly for their available options.
What else should I consider if I will be working from home?
- Do not send packages to campus if you will not be present. Update all online accounts and correspondence to reflect your current address while working away from campus. If you inadvertently place an order to campus, please contact the company you ordered from as soon as possible after placing your order and attempt to have the address updated or the package rerouted.
We have created the Department Contact Form in order to maintain up-to-date contact information with departments receiving mail and parcels on campus. We ask that each department designate a primary contact to complete the form and to include a secondary contact should the primary contact be unavailable.
Members Of The CMU Community,
Given the unprecedented circumstances, the CMU Postal Services would like to address the following:
In the event you are unable to pick up your package and have a friend or relative in the Pittsburgh area that is able to retrieve the package(s) for you, please submit a proxy form via our website: https://www.cmu.edu/postoffice/proxy-designation/index.html
- All owners and proxies MUST bring physical identification at the time of pickup.
- Examples are: a CMU ID, a Driver’s License, and/or a Passport
- WE WILL NOT ACCEPT SIO OR ANY OTHER FORM OF DIGITAL IDENTIFICATION.
You are able to set up a forward for USPS parcels only. Please visit our website and fill out a forwarding form: https://www.cmu.edu/postoffice/forward-mail/index.html. Forwarding through USPS directly is NOT allowed.
**Please note, we CANNOT forward to international destinations due to USPS regulations.**
For any other carrier (including UPS, FedEx, Amazon, DHL, LaserShip, etc.), please contact the carrier directly for their available options. Please contact us with updates regarding any non-USPS parcel that has already arrived to campus.
For the foreseeable future, we ask that you do the following:
- Do not send packages to campus if you will not be present.
- Update all online accounts and correspondence to reflect the current address where you will be residing while away from CMU.
- TRIPLE-CHECK your address before you click ‘submit’ on any online orders.
We will do everything in our power to work with you during this time to ensure that you receive your packages.
Please do not hesitate to email or call us with any further questions or concerns.
CMU Postal Services
Please use the new addressing format for non-USPS carriers when placing any orders for campus delivery by a carrier other than USPS. Not using the new format for departmental deliveries (especially those ordered through an Amazon Business account) increases the likelihood that the parcels will be delivered to the wrong location, lost, or returned to the sender. If you have any questions regarding departmental deliveries, please contact us at email@example.com.
Abandoned Amazon parcels should be reported to CMU Postal Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also note that the addressing format for SMC mailboxes remains unchanged for all carriers.
Personal packages destined for faculty or staff should not be addressed to a campus location. Having personal packages sent to campus locations, especially during the holidays, can overload the campus mail system. This can lead to significant delays for items deemed time-critical and essential to the operation of the university. Convenient and secure SMC mailboxes are available to rent in order to receive personal packages on campus.
Please be sure to use your correct address when sending medical and time-critical items to your campus location. Any mail or parcels bearing an address that does not contain enough information for delivery will be returned to the sender. Faculty and staff deliveries must include the name, department, building abbreviation, and room number. Mail or parcels destined for an SMC must include the name and SMC within the address. Please verify that the sender has the correct information before placing an order so that the mail or parcel is able to be delivered correctly and in a timely manner.