In order to protect the health and wellbeing of our community during the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak, the university has regretfully chosen to postpone May 2020 Commencement exercises. The university is committed to celebrating the class of 2020’s outstanding achievements. To learn about updated graduation and diploma deadlines and procedures, visit our Commencement Updates webpage.
Graduation & Diplomas
The University Registar's Office and The HUB support graduating students with preparing for graduation and distribute diplomas to all Carnegie Mellon students.
Degrees are conferred by academic departments in August, December and May of each calendar year. The campus-wide Commencement Ceremony is held in May on the Pittsburgh campus.
Cap & Gown Adornments
Along with the standard Carnegie Mellon cap and gown, other regalia may be worn during the commencement ceremony:
- Medallions and/or cords are restricted to the use of designating university honors, college honors or university honor societies that admit students across all disciplines.
- Medallions typically represent university honors and cords typically represent college honors.
- Medallions and/or cords should not be used to designate other honors/clubs.
- Medallions and honors cords may also be worn in conjunction with stoles and pins.
- It is recommended that graduating students wear only one stole with their academic regalia.
- Students are certainly permitted to receive/purchase more than one stole if they are a member of multiple organizations that issue stoles and may choose to wear a particular stole to the main commencement ceremony and another to their diploma ceremony.
- Graduating students who are members of a club/organization that issues pins to designate affiliation are permitted to wear more than one pin with their academic regalia along with a stole, medallion and/or cords (as applicable).
These guidelines were reviewed and updated by the Associate Deans' Council in February 2009.