Carnegie Mellon University

Faculty Leaves

Requests for faculty leaves of absence can now be submitted online. Faculty can request a professional leave of absence or a parental and family leave of absence. Any questions about the leaves process or the online forms can be addressed to The Provost’s Office will submit all approved faculty leaves to the University Leaves Manager. The Office of General Counsel is also available to review faculty leave applications. 

For additional information on benefits and leave options, please visit Human Resources.

Submit a professional leave request or submit a family leave request.

Faculty members should request a leave at least one semester in advance of taking the leave. Where the need for leave is unanticipated, faculty members should request leave as soon as possible. View the professional leaves of absence policy or the personal leaves of absence policy for more information.

Note:  In addition to faculty family leave, faculty members may have rights under the Family Medical Leave Act. To apply for leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), please visit Human Resources.