Leaves of Absence
Carnegie Mellon has many different types of leaves of absence to help people accommodate their needs:
- Family and Medical Leave
- Short- and Long-Term Disability Leave
- Workers' Compensation
- Personal Leave, Military Leave, Jury Duty and Bereavement
Note: Maternity leave after the birth of a child is covered concurrently under Short Term Disability and FMLA for staff, or as a Faculty Parental Leave for faculty.
The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) provides eligible employees up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave for certain family and medical reasons (up to 26 weeks to care for a military servicemember injured in the line of duty).
- Employees who have worked at least 1,250 hours in the previous 12 months and have at least 50 Carnegie Mellon employees within 75 miles of their work location are eligible for FMLA coverage.
- Qualifying reasons for taking an FMLA leave include:
- caring for a newly born or adopted child,
- caring for yourself during a serious injury or illness,
- caring for a parent, spouse or child experiencing a serious injury or illness,
- caring for an injured servicemember, or
- circumstances arising from a family member being called to active duty.
To apply for FMLA leave:
- Notify your manager.
- Complete the Application for Family and Medical Leave of Absence [pdf] and the appropriate certification form at least 30 days in advance of the leave (or with as much advance notice as possible):
- Send the completed forms to the Benefits Office, 319 South Craig St., Pittsburgh, PA 15213.
- Inform your manager of your intended date of return to work, if known.