2021 Incoming Faculty Orientation
Held virtually from August 23-25, 2021
Welcome to Carnegie Mellon’s university-wide Incoming Faculty Orientation, brought to you by the Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty in partnership with the Office of the Vice Provost for Education and the Eberly Center for Teaching Excellence and Educational Innovation.
This 3 day workshop (9-11am and 1-3pm Monday - Wednesday) is an opportunity to meet other new faculty and explore what Carnegie Mellon has to offer. Programming includes a weclome from senior leadership, details about and support for online/hybrid teaching for Fall 2021, guidance on teaching and learning techniques, information on supporting student well-being, opportunities for small group discussion, and more.
Contact Courtney Bryant, Director, Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty, with any questions.
2021 Orientation Schedule
All synchronous sessions will be via Zoom (information to follow).* Schedule is subject to change.
9:00 - 9:30 Provost's Welcome
9:30 - 11:00 Faculty Supporting Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
11:00 - 1:00 Break 1:00 - 3:00 Research on How Learning Works & Effective Teaching Strategies for All Students
9:00 - 9:30 How can the Eberly Center support your teaching?
9:30-11:00 Frameworks of Support - Policy and Practice
11:00 - 1:00 Break
1:00 - 2:00 Faculty Panel: Calibrating to Teaching at CMU
2:10 - 3:00 Technology Enhanced Learning @ CMU: Opportunities & Support
9:00 - 10:30 Faculty Supporting Student Mental Health
11:00 - 1:00 Break
1:00 - 3:00 Office Hours and Networking
Important Contacts for Faculty
- Office of International Education
- Jennifer Sobol: Director, Foundation Relations
- Mike Harding: Associate Director, Corporate Relations
- David Quinn: Director, OVPR
- Tim McNulty: Associate Vice President, Government Relations
- Jon Malen: Professor, Dept. of Mech. Engineering
- Center for Diversity and Inclusion
- Jen Gilbride-Brown: Assistant Vice Provost for Strategic Academic Initiatives
- Noah Riley: Health Promotion Specialist
- David Scherer: Librarian, Research Curation and Scholarly Communication
- The Leonard Gelfand Center for Service Learning and Outreach
- Judy Hallinen: Gelfand Center Executive Director
- Office of Sponsored Programs
- Linda Duffy: Associate Vice President for Research and Academic Admin.
- Office of Research Integrity and Compliance (ORIC)
- Sponsored Projects Accounting (SPA)
- Swartz Center for Entrepreneurship
- Dave Mawhinney: Executive Director, Swartz Center
- Center for Technology Transfer and Enterprise Creation (CTTEC)
- Bob Wooldridge: Associate Vice Provost for Tech Transfer and Enterprise Creation