Student Mail Code (SMC) Incoming Mail
In addition to the university's general incoming mail guidelines, the following information applies to incoming mail sent to CMU students and student mail code (SMC) mailboxes.
All first-year students living in Pittsburgh campus housing are assigned a student mail code (SMC) number that matches a mailbox in the Postal Services main location in the Cohon University Center (CUC). The SMC number can be found on the student's Student Information Online (SIO) webpage. This mailbox will be used for all received campus mail, U.S. mail and packages. Students will retain their assigned SMC as long as they meet the criteria outlined below.
All first-year students living in Pittsburgh campus housing are assigned a student mail code (SMC) mailbox number. Students retain their assigned SMC as long as they are: enrolled as a degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate student for the current or upcoming semester at the Pittsburgh campus (students currently enrolled in a study abroad program qualify as enrolled for this requirement) and currently living in Pittsburgh-area, university-owned campus housing. Once a student leaves university-owned campus housing, or has a change in their enrollment status, their SMC number and associated mailbox will be re-assigned to an incoming first-year student. Graduate students do not receive an SMC number unless they are living in university-owned campus housing.
All CMU faculty, staff and students also have the option to rent an SMC mailbox, as detailed below.
Addressing mail to an SMC mailbox
Please adhere to the incoming mail guidelines and formats when sending campus mail. If the full name and SMC number are not in the address label, the item will be returned to the sender. The ZIP code 15289 is used exclusively for Carnegie Mellon University SMC mailboxes.
Forwarding SMC Mail
If you are leaving campus for a few weeks, for the summer, to study abroad, to take a leave of absence or for an extended period of time for any reason, and you plan on returning, you may forward your SMC mail. This includes all eligible USPS First-Class, Priority and Priority Express mail, magazines and packages. To initiate this service, please complete the SMC Mail Forwarding Form. Forwards for the summer semester end on Aug. 1. All other forwards are effective until you inform Postal Services of your return to campus or your mailbox is reassigned.
Once you graduate, your mailbox will be released 30 days after commencement or when there is a change of enrollment status. If you wish to have your mail forwarded, please fill out the SMC Mail Forwarding Form. We will forward all eligible USPS First-Class, Priority and Priority Express mail, magazines and packages. After 30 days, all mail received for you at your former SMC address will be returned to sender. Be sure to update your address with friends, family, cell phone companies, credit card companies, banks and other institutions from which you regularly receive mail.
Non-Returning Students and Students Moving to Off-Campus Residences
Your SMC mailbox will be reassigned 30 days after your enrollment or campus housing status change. We cannot forward your mail after your SMC number has been released. Please be sure to update all address information with all of your contacts before your SMC is reassigned.
Only eligible USPS First-Class, Priority and Priority Express mail, magazines and packages may be forwarded. Please contact DHL, FedEx and UPS to forward packages from those carriers. We also cannot forward mail internationally.
Restrictions on Incoming SMC Mail
- Any package received for a student in campus housing that contains an item prohibited by the Carnegie Mellon University Housing Policies will be returned to sender.
- Using your SMC mailbox address to operate an enterprise of any kind or to receive mail for anyone other than the assigned owner of the mailbox is strictly prohibited.
- Be sure to pick up any perishable parcels as quickly as possible. We do not have refrigeration available. Please do not send/order any items that require refrigeration. We do not accept Uber Eats or any type of grocery orders as we have no way to store food items.
- Please do not send any items that may make noise and/or alarm sounds as it can potentially become a security issue.
- We do not have the ability to accept any parcels weighing over 70 pounds. We are also unable to accept any deliveries requiring pallets or pallet jacks. If anything arrives falling under these conditions, we reserve the right to refuse them. We ask that you make the necessary arrangements ahead of time for delivery at another location to avoid any delays or return of the item(s).
Picking up packages
When a package is received for an SMC mailbox, an email notification is sent to the mailbox owner. Packages can be retreived from the parcel pickup window during normal business hours. Certain time-sensitive packages, such as medication or passports, may be moved to the parcel pickup lockers, which are available during and after business hours -- your notification will let you know if your package has been moved to the lockers.
If you are not able to retrieve your package from the parcel pickup window during normal business hours, you may submit a Parcel Pickup Locker Request for packages up to 16"x20"x20" to ask that the package be moved to the parcel pickup lockers. This form must be received by 4 p.m. on a normal business day for your package to be available after hours the same day. Forms received after 4 p.m. will be available in the lockers the next business day. Packages in the parcel pickup lockers must be retrieved within 48 hours.
Unclaimed SMC Mail
Consistent with USPS regulations, all mail and packages that are still unclaimed 30 days after delivery may be returned to sender at the discretion of Postal Services. Our process is as follows:
- As necessary, Postal Services employees will inspect the mailboxes.
- At our discretion, mail that is over 30 days old may be removed from the mailboxes.
- Removed mail will be checked into the Postal Services package tracking software. An email will then be sent to the owner of the unclaimed mail.
- The mail will need to be picked up from the package pickup window within 30 days.
- After 30 days, any mail not picked up will be returned to sender as unclaimed.
Please note that if there is a legitimate reason that mail or packages cannot be picked up within the 30-day period, you must notify us. Further arrangements can then be made to handle the mail or packages.
Renting an SMC Mailbox
All CMU faculty, staff and students are eligible to rent an SMC mailbox on a per-semester or annual basis. The cost is $35 every four months or $60 annually. A CMU photo ID, a phone number and an email address are required for rental, and only one name per mailbox may be used.
Renewing Your Mailbox Rental
At the beginning of the last month of the rental period, you will receive an email stating that SMC mailbox rent is due. Please visit Postal Services to renew your rental (please bring a current CMU ID) or inform us that you no longer need your mailbox. If payment is not received seven days after the last day of the rental period, all incoming mail will be returned to sender and the mailbox will be released.
Ending Your SMC Rental
When you no longer need your SMC mailbox, please contact Postal Services to end your rental. Be sure to update your address with friends, family, cell phone companies, credit card companies, banks and other institutions from which you regularly receive mail.