Form I-9 Employment Verification —Instructions for Remote Workers
Federal law requires employers to verify the employment eligibility and identity of all employees hired to work in the United States. All newly hired staff, faculty and student workers who are employed in the United States are required to complete the Form I-9 by the third business day following their first day of employment.
The following process is to be followed for any employee whose work location is not a Carnegie Mellon site or who is not able to travel to a Carnegie Mellon University campus to complete their Form I-9. This process is not to be used for employees in Pittsburgh or Silicon Valley.
Completing the Form I-9 as a Remote Worker
- Contact HR Services and provide the zip code of your remote work location.
- HR Services will respond with contact information for universities in your area that can complete the Form I-9 as an authorized representative.
- The Form I-9 may also be completed by a notary public of your choice. CMU is not responsible for covering notary fees.
- Schedule an appointment to complete the Form I-9.
Before Your Appointment
- Open the Form I-9 [pdf] and complete Section 1.
- Staff and faculty can email HR Services for assistance in completing Section 1.
- Student workers should refer to the instructions on the Student Worker Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification page.
- Print and sign Section 1 using an ink/wet signature. Section 1 must be completed and signed on or before your first day of work.
- Take the Form I-9, your employment authorization documents and the following instructions to your appointment. The authorized representative will examine your documents and complete Section 2.
- You must present either one selection from List A or a combination of one selection from List B and one selection from List C from the List of Acceptable Documents.
- Original, unexpired employment authorization documents are required. Copies are not acceptable.
- If you are using a notary public, please remind them to not stamp the Form I-9 with their seal.
After Your Appointment
- Upload the completed Form I-9 and the documents you presented into Workday.
- The documents that you upload to Workday must be the same as those that you presented to complete the Form I-9.
- If you used a passport to verify your identity, you must upload an image of the front page and back page with barcode. The EAD card and Permanent Resident card also require the front and back to be scanned.
- See the Uploading Supporting Documents in Workday System Guide [pdf] for instructions.