Support Statement: Microsoft Windows
Computing Services supports the following Microsoft Windows operating systems.
|Supported Operating Systems
Supported with the following exceptions:
- Identity Finder (Not currently supported)
- Symantec Endpoint Protection (Not currently supported; as an alternative, ensure Windows Defender is on and updated with the latest virus and spyware definitions)
|Windows 8 & Enterprise
Supported with the following exception:
- Identity Finder to be supported with release of v6.1
|Windows Pro & RT
||Limited and conditional support - Computing Services will assist customers with issues that are clearly unrelated to differences in operating system versions
|Windows 7 Enterprise & Ultimate (32/64 bit)
|Windows 7 Home Premium & Professional
Limited and conditional support - Computing Services will assist customers with issues that are clearly unrelated to differences in operating system versions
Carnegie Mellon participates in the Microsoft Campus Agreement, an annual license agreement that provides specific Microsoft software to university-owned computers and, with restrictions, to personally-owned computers. For more information, see the Microsoft Campus Agreement page.
If you purchase a copy of Windows through the university, you must activate it before you can use it. For more information, see the Activation page.
Level of Support
Computing Services supports Microsoft Windows and provides the configuration settings necessary for the system to operate safely on the campus network. The Computing Services Help Center does not perform operating system installations, repairs or restores and does not install drivers.
- Students should contact their academic department to determine their recommended operating system(s).
- Faculty and staff should contact their departmental computing administrator or functional business group lead for operating system upgrade recommendations.
The Computing Services Help Center does not perform operating system installations, repairs or restores and does not install drivers.
Hardware & Peripherals
Computing Services does not install, configure or otherwise support specific hardware or peripherals.
Computing Services supposrts printing to Computing Services public printers; see Andrew Printing.
Network services for Microsoft Windows should be configured using the Connect to the Network instructions.
Last Updated: 04/02/14