Demo session 02/25
Human Rights Media Central follow up meeting
Thursday, February 25
2:30 - 5:00 PM
224 W 57th St, New York, NY 10019
This session is a follow up to the workshop held at Carnegie Mellon University during the Summer 2015. Such event goal was to discuss and explore the viability of a coordinated approach to the acquisition, authentication, archiving, analysis, and utilization of human rights-related media by activists, attorneys, journalists, human rights defenders, and ordinary people.
The fundamental premises of the meeting were that there is significant work taking place in the human rights media space, but that such work is donewithout great coordination between actors, and thus there is an opportunity to increase the positive impact of these projects by increasing their coordination.
This Demo Session is thought as an opportunity for human rights practitioners, technologists and journalists to preview some of the ideas that have been produced as part of this coordinated effort as well as an opportunity for project leaders to receive meaningful feedback on the solutions they have imagined.
- Alex Hauptmann, CMU (presenter)
- An Xiao Mina, Meedan
- Brad Samuels, SITU (presenter)
- Bryan Nunez, OSF
- Chancellar Williams, OSF
- Christoph Koettl, Amnesty (presenter)
- Ed Bice, Meedan (presenter)
- Eliza Mackintosh, Storyful (presenter)
- Elizabeth Eagen, OSF
- Enrique Piraces, VV/CMU (presenter)
- Eric Sears, MacArthur Foundation
- Harlo Holmes, Guardian Project (presenter)
- Jay Aronson, CMU
- John Emerson, NYU
- Josh Lyons, Human Rights Watch
- Joseph Ovid Adams, Syria Direct (presenter)
- Louis Bickford, Ford Foundation
- Michael Brennan, Ford Foundation
- Mohammad Al Abdallah, SJAC (presenter)
- Scott Edwards, Amnesty
- Stephanie Withed, Huridocs
- Tony Wilson, Security Monitor
- Vijay Rao, SJAC (presenter)
- Yvonne Ng, WITNESS
Meet and greet - 2:30 to 3:00 PM
The idea is for people to use this time to go through security, catch up with each other, hydrate, email, text, etc.
Welcome and introduction - 3:00 PM to 3:10 PM
- HRMC concept & Summer 2015 workshop briefing
- Session objectives and presentation rules of engagement
- Participant self-introductions (If needed. If time is short, we’ll leave this for the Q&A)
Presentations - 3:10 to 4:20 PM
Please be prepared to present for 6 minutes or less. For us to make the best
out of this, we’ll need everyone’s cooperation to be as brief and explicit as
possible. Please us the “Meet and Greet” time to take a look at the room and
make sure you have all what you need to present.
- Syria Justice and Accountability Center : Base Web system ; New features (relationship-graph searches, Data visualization); Offline (air-gapped) version of the system - for highest security level documents
- Meedan: CheckDesk
- Storyful: Montage is a collaborative platform in which individuals or teams can collect, verify and share YouTube videos.
- Amnesty International : AI will be sharing use cases and current and future methodologies of analyzing citizen media.
- Video Vault : a simple, reliable way to preserve, secure and archive video content and its metadata.
- Guardian Project
- Syria Direct
- CMU : Arcane
- CMU : ELAMP
Q and A session - 4:20 to 4:55 PM
Closing remarks and next steps - 4:55 to 5:00 PM