Core courses establish the necessary background and a common competence level in each of the four thematic areas. Students must take at least one core course from each of the Concentration areas below for a total of 48 units minimum.
Data and Analytics
- 05-834 Machine Learning in Practice (fall/spring)
- (Note: Students in the Data and Analytics Concentration may not take 05-834)
- 10-601/701 Machine Learning (spring)
- (Note: Students may not take both 05-834 and 10-601/701)
Politics and Strategy
- 84-688 Concepts of War and Cyber War (fall)
- (Note: All students are required to take this course. This is a 6-unit mini, offered during the second half of the fall semester)
- 08-731 Information and Security Policy (fall)
- (Note: Students in the Security Concentration may not take 08-731)
- 18-487 Introduction to Computer Security & Applied Crytography
- (Note: This course has a prerequisite of 15-213/513 which may be taken in the summer prior to arriving at CMU.)
- 18-631 Introduction to Information Security (fall)
(Note: Students may only take one of the courses 08-731, 18-487 or 18-631.)
Software and Networked Systems
- 17-638 Software Architectures for Managers (spring 2nd half mini)
- Paired with...
- 95-884 Network Security (spring 2nd half mini)
- (Note: Students in the Software and Network Concentration may not use 17-638 and 95-884 for their core requirement).
- 17-655 Software Architecture (spring)
- (Note: Students may not take both 17-638 and 17-655)
- 15-640 Distributed Systems (fall/spring limited slots)