Counseling and Psychological Services
Counseling and Psychological Services (CaPS) addresses the mental health needs of the CMU community through a variety of services. We provide a safe, confidential environment to talk about personal or academic concerns. We assist students who need to connect with mental health resources in the community and support staff, faculty, and family members who have concerns about the wellbeing of a student. We strive to promote students’ capacity for psychological growth and maturation through greater self-awareness and psychological insight.
All counseling center services are provided at no cost.
For an appointment, call during regular office hours. For crisis support, our phone is answered 24/7.
CaPS – 412-268-2922.
The CaPS office is open:
Monday through Friday
8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
(Some evening hours available by appointment only.)
CaPS is located on the 2nd floor of Morewood Gardens, E-Tower. Enter through the red entranceway at the back of E-Tower. Take the elevator to the 2nd floor.
- All currently enrolled CMU students are eligible for services at CaPS at no additional cost to them.
- All services are confidential.
- CaPS is one of many support resources on campus available to help CMU students with a range of struggles. We can help you identify what resources are the best fit for your needs.
- You are not alone! CaPS sees about 11% of the student population each year. These are undergraduate and graduate students who at some point throughout the year decided to seek help with their struggles.
- Asking for help is a sign of psychological strength, not weakness. At some point in life, most of us will experience some psychological hardship that could benefit from professional support. Asking for help when needed can result in a faster and more long-lasting recovery. Asking for help can be scary, but it’s often the best thing to do.