Making Travel Arrangements
NOTE: SLICE is not taking new reservations at this time. For information on University Policies and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the official university COVID-19 Response webpage.
Schedule a travel appointment with the SLICE for student organization travel arrangements and to arrange direct payment from your student organization's financial account for your organization's travel needs. Whatever your needs are—automotive transportation, air transportation and/or lodging—SLICE is here to help.
Car, Bus and the SLICE Van
At some point, your student organization may need to rent a car, truck, bus or the SLICE Van. The preferred method if you plan to travel by car is to request a car rental or to use the SLICE van; however, there may be some cases where you may need to drive a personal vehicle. Follow the outlined steps in order to request transportation based on your need or preference, as well as to learn about what to do if you're in an accident.
What are the steps for renting a car?
- Submit Car Rental Request Form: Authorized Signers should submit the Car Rental Request form at least one full week prior to travel. Once the reservation is confirmed you will receive the confirmation from Hertz via email along with follow-up information from the SLICE office.
- Complete Driver’s Form: At least 2 weeks prior to travel, anyone driving the rental car (at least one primary driver and one backup driver for each rental car) will need to fill out a Driver’s Information Form by coming into the SLICE Office. Please bring a valid driver’s license. Once the driver form is completed and submitted to SLICE, the driver is agreeing to the rules outlined in the Rental Car Policy. SLICE will not authorize a student to proceed with a car rental use until confirmation of a valid driver’s license is provided back from OHR (Office of Human Resources).
- Before Picking Up Rental Car: Print CMU Car Insurance Policy and rental car email confirmation: it is the driver's responsibility to visit the CMU Controller’s Office website to read the terms and conditions of CMU insurance, and to print the insurance card to keep inside the rental car during the entire rental. Students must also have the Hertz email confirmation with them at the time of vehicle pick up.
- Submit Receipts: Hertz car rentals do NOT require receipts to be submitted to the SLICE office, as Hertz invoices the student organizations and payments are made on a SLICE P-card. Students should keep a copy of Hertz receipts for their organization files. All other vendor receipts are to be submitted to the SLICE Office within two business days of returning to campus after the trip.
Which local car rental companies are University-approved?
- Rentals available to students age 18 and older
- Nationwide rentals
- 12 passenger vans permitted; travel appointment should be at least 3-4 weeks in advance to ensure van availability
- CMU has special pricing, payment and vehicle availability options that are only available to reservations made during a travel appointment; Please do not call Hertz prior to a travel appointment
- Hertz local pickup location: 5634 Baum Boulevard, Pittsburgh, PA; Phone: (412) 441-1902
- Rentals available to students age 21 and older
- 12 passenger vans permitted; travel appointment should be at least 3-4 weeks in advance to ensure van availability
- You may call Enterprise prior to travel appointment to get pricing and availability or this may be done during your travel appointment
- Enterprise local pickup location: 756 S. Millvale Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA; Phone: (412) 212-7540
What are the steps for renting a truck?
What are the steps for renting a bus?
A travel appointment is NOT necessary for bus rentals.
- Call Bus Vendors: Call bus vendors at least two weeks prior to your trip. Please refer to the preferred or discounted vendors. Confirm bus availability on the dates needed, cost for roundtrip transportation, location for pick up and drop off on-campus and at the destination, etc. Request a QUOTE from the vendor that must be submitted with the Payment Request form to SLICE Office. If you use a bus vendor is not a preferred vendor, then a contract will be required, please contact SLICE for details.
- Confirm Bus Pick-up/Drop-off: The organization will need to confirm with CMU Parking and Transportation Services regarding the on-campus location for bus pick up and drop off. There is a Bus Scheduling Form that must be submitted.
- Waivers: Participants that will be riding on the bus will need to sign a CMU Release of Liability per University Policy. A SLICE staff member will follow-up with the organization upon receipt of the Payment Request and bus quote (two weeks prior to the event).
- Submit Final Invoice: Request a final invoice from the vendor to be sent to the Financial Assistant in the SLICE Office in order to be used to approve payment for the Purchase Order, once the trip is completed. Payment will be sent in the form of a check to the vendor
What are the requirements and procedures to rent the SLICE Van?
While the van is open to student organizations and departments, there are some requirements that must be met in order to use the van. Some of these requirements include:
- Any student may fill out the reservation form, but if that student is not going to be driving the van, the Driver Registration Form must be completed by the driver(s) before a reservation will be confirmed.
- The driver must be 18 years old and have a valid US driver's license.
- The driver must complete a driver form in the SLICE office at least 2 weeks prior to travel (a copy of their driver's license will be made at this time; the driver form to be completed is different from the Driver Registration form).
- SLICE will not authorize a student to proceed with the SLICE van use until confirmation of a valid driver’s license is provided back from OHR (Office of Human Resources).
Please note the SLICE van is not available for overnight trips. Additional resources: EH&S Driver Safety Training Online Course.
How do I reserve the SLICE Van?
NOTE: Due to COVID-19, the SLICE Vans are currently not available for reservations. If you have any questions regarding the vans, please contact SLICEVan@andrew.cmu.edu.
The SLICE Office manages two mini-vans which can be used by student organizations and departments to fulfill their organization and university missions. The vans are open to all eligible student drivers to use for official organizational purposes for only the cost of gasoline. A few examples for student and department use of the van include:
- Transporting your team to do direct service on a one time or reoccurring basis
- Picking up supplies for a fundraising or educational program
- Transporting your team to an off campus retreat center for team building
- Transporting donations to a local non-profit or community partner
Additional resources: EH&S Driver Safety Training Online Course.
I was in an accident in my rental car/truck. What do I do?
- Remain calm and call 911 if anyone is injured
- Call the rental car company to report the damage to the car and arrange for a new rental car if needed.
- If safe to leave vehicles in traffic, do not move vehicles until told to do so by police.
- Call the police to investigate accidents, if necessary.
- Email the SLICE Finance team with information about the accident and to request a meeting within two business days of returning to campus
- Complete Vehicle Accident/Incident Report (need link) form as soon as possible, at the scene if safely possible, bring this form and copies of any other reports or documentation from the accident with you to a meeting with the SLICE finance team, to occur within two business days of returning to campus after the trip.
- SLICE’s Finance team will report accident information to the CMU Insurance department.
Do I need to buy the supplemental insurance for my rental car or truck?
Students must purchase the supplemental insurance coverage offered by the truck rental company to protect the University and themselves from liability. Each truck rental company has a separate supplemental insurance policy for how any accidents or damages can be handled.
When booking a rental vehicle through Hertz or Enterprise, students do not need to purchase supplemental insurance because they are covered by Carnegie Mellon University’s insurance policy.
Travel agencies are the preferred way for students to book their travel. The travel agency is able to assist with issues that may arise with arranging travel, including cancellations and emergencies. View a list of the University's Preferred Travel Agencies. Airfare purchases are paid directly from your student organization's financial account. Travel appointments must be made a least two weeks prior to travel, however, the SLICE Office recommends scheduling further out.
Travel not booked through the SLICE Office must be paid in full by the students who are traveling. A reimbursement can be issued as long as the travel is approved to be reimbursed by the JFC. The student organization is responsible for meeting all payment deadlines with the travel agency.
What are the steps for booking air travel?
- Book a Travel Appointment: Authorized Signer must schedule a Travel Meeting at least TWO weeks prior to travel. Airfare reservations can be made during the appointment using one of the preferred travel agencies.
- Call Travel Agency for Information: Prior to the travel appointment, please contact and work with the travel agent to determine which itinerary meets your organization’s needs and budget. Email the travel agency the selected itinerary, names, and birthdates of persons traveling, this information is required by the travel agency to book your airline tickets.
- Call Travel Agency for Price Confirmation (Before Travel Appointment): It is VERY IMPORTANT to ensure cost information is accurate on the date of the travel appointment. Pricing and availability of tickets changes daily and the travel agency can only ‘hold’ a ticket for one business day. Please call the travel agency on the morning of your travel appointment to confirm pricing and availability.
- Travel Appointment: Bring to your travel appointment the ticket cost per person (including the cost of any applicable service fees per ticket), dates of travel, the destination of travel, number of people/tickets, airline name, and legal names and date of birth for all travelers. The SLICE Financial Assistant will call the travel agency to confirm all details and payment from the organization's Oracle account.
What are the University's preferred travel agencies?
Lodging & Hotels
Hotel & AirBnB
Travel agencies are the preferred way for students to book their travel. The travel agency is able to assist with issues that may arise with arranging travel, including cancellations and emergencies. View a list of the University's Preferred Travel Agencies. In this case, a travel meeting with SLICE is still required to pay for the booking.
What are the steps to make a hotel reservation?
- Make a Travel Appointment: Authorized Signer must schedule a Travel Meeting at least 48 hours in advance to make an appointment with the Financial Assistant. Hotel reservations can be made during an appointment in our office using a university P-card.
- Preparation Needed: Students may make hotel reservations at the hotel of your choosing and should call the hotel prior to the travel appointment in order to have all information necessary to reserve the hotel room(s) including room availability, cost, dates of travel, etc.
- Submit Receipts: All P-card receipts are to be submitted to the SLICE Office within two business days of returning to campus after the trip.
How do I make an AirBnB reservation?
Students who are interested in booking an AirBnB should request a travel meeting. You will need to use your personal AirBNB account to make the reservation and send all receipts back to SLICE within two business days of returning to campus after the trip.