Carnegie Mellon University


Division of Enrollment Services


Current Student Instructions

If you believe you are eligible to receive Veterans Education Benefits, please contact Veterans Affairs by calling 1-888-442-4551. You can also apply for benefits on the VA website or view more information. Please understand that the University Registrar's Office cannot apply for benefits on behalf of a student. 

Processing Time

Once your application has been processed by Veterans Affairs, you will receive two copies of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE). Please submit one copy to the Veterans Affairs Coordinator so that your enrollment may be properly certified. The Veterans Affairs Coordinator is located in the Naval ROTC offices at 4615 Forbes Avenue. Walk-in hours are Mondays and Wednesdays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Fridays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Appointments are also welcome; please email or call to schedule.

What Happens Next?

Once you have notified the VA Certifying Official of your eligibility and have turned in your Certificate of Eligibility, a preliminary certification will be sent to the VA on your behalf. If you are a Chapter 33 student, this will permit your housing allowance to begin. In turn, you will receive a letter from the VA stating that only enrollment has been reported (without tuition and fees). Your tuition and fees will be reported after the semester add/drop period (after the tenth day of classes). After that, any changes in enrollment will be reported as needed. You will not incur interest charges for late payments while waiting for payment from the VA.