Carnegie Mellon University

Veterans Education Benefits FAQs

How do I know if I am eligible for Veterans Education Benefits?

The VA Regional Processing Office in Buffalo, NY, determines eligibility. You can apply for Veterans Education Benefits online via VONAPP or contact the VA to have a form sent to you at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

Does Carnegie Mellon participate in Yellow Ribbon? How do I know if I am eligible?

Yes, Carnegie Mellon does participate in the Yellow Ribbon program. In order to be eligible to participate in Yellow Ribbon, you must be Post-9/11 GI Bill 100% eligible.

How much will I receive with my benefits and how much Yellow Ribbon am I eligible to receive?

Veterans Affairs determines eligibility and payment amounts. Get a general idea of what the payment rates are by visiting the Veterans Affairs website. Student Financial Aid determines Yellow Ribbon amounts using specific formulas. 

I received an invoice. Why haven't my benefits been applied yet?

Most often, invoices are generated prior to the receipt of benefits. With the new Post-9/11 GI Bill, payments have been delayed as processing is delayed. If you have been identified as receiving educational benefits, you will not receive a late fee while waiting for your benefits to be paid. If you're not sure you have been identified, contact the University Registrar's Office at

When will I be paid?

Payment can vary depending on processing times at the VA Regional Processing Office in Buffalo. To find out your current payment status, please call 1-888-442-4551. You will not be penalized with late fees while waiting for any tuition and fee payments made directly to the university.

What does the school need to certify my enrollment? When will I be certified?

We need a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and you must be registered for the upcoming semester to be certified. We will begin certification of the upcoming semester on the Friday of registration week.

What is a COE and why do you need it?

A Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is the letter that you receive after you apply for educational benefits that tells you what you are eligible to receive. We need to be able to identify from which Chapter under the GI Bill you are eligible to receive benefits. Also, it is a requirement that the COE remains in your file if there are any questions concerning eligibility.

How do I change schools listed for my benefits?

The easiest way to change schools for your education benefits is by using VONAPP.

What do I do if I withdraw from a course or change my enrollment?

If you are receiving G.I. Bill benefits and voluntarily withdraw from a course or change your enrollment, you must notify the VA Certifying Official in the University Registrar’s Office. Changing from full-time to part-time status may affect the amount of your benefits. Full-time status is defined as carrying 36 units or more per semester. The VA Certifying Official in the University Registrar's Office can be reached at