Carnegie Mellon University


Division of Enrollment Services


Incoming Cross-Registration

If a student is a full-time undergraduate or graduate student attending one of the ten Pittsburgh Council of Higher Education (PCHE) institutions, they are eligible to cross-register at Carnegie Mellon. An incoming cross-registration student will not be charged any additional tuition charges; however, special course or laboratory fees must be paid, if necessary. CMU enrollment status will not be acquired, but the student will have library and bookstore privileges. Cross-registration applies to fall and spring semesters only.

Instructions for Incoming Cross-Registration

1. The PCHE Cross-Registration (pdf) form must have the following required information: Course number, title, section and units/credits, as well as home advisor, home dean and home registrar signature. If any of this information is missing, the form will be returned to the home institution.

2. Students enrolled in a joint program between CMU and their home institution must have the name of the program written at the top of the cross-registration form at the time it is submitted to the home registrar. Students enrolled in an approved joint program are exempt from the requirement of being full-time at either institution.

3. Students who wish to take more than one course and who are not in a joint program, must get a letter of approval from their dean, and this letter must accompany the cross-registration form.

4. The University Registrar's Office will check the course availability from the PCHE form.

    • If the course is available, the University Registrar's Office will enter the student's information into the Student Information System (S3) and email a confirmation to the student, as well as notify the home institution. If the course does not appear on the home institution schedule, the student should contact their home institution for resolution.
    • If the course the student wishes to take is waitlisted or not available, the student will receive an email from the University Registrar's Office. If this happens, the student will not be permitted to attend the class.

5. Auditing: Students choosing to audit a CMU course must submit a Course Audit Approval (pdf) form to the University Registrar's Office within the first 10 days of class. Forms should be delivered to The HUB, Warner Hall, A12 (basement/lower level).

6. Pass/Fail: Students choosing to take a class as pass/fail must submit a Pass/No Pass Approval (pdf) form to the University Registrar's Office within the first 10 days of class. Forms should be delivered to The HUB, Warner Hall, A12 (basement/lower level).

7. Students who select a course that requires access to Canvas (CMU's course management system) are reminded that it may take up to two weeks to gain access unless an Andrew User ID has already been obtained. Your Andrew User ID is the first part of your email address. If you do not know your User ID, go to and enter your name in the search box. To set the password for your Andrew account, please follow these instructions.

    • Questions about Canvas should be directed to the Office of Technical Education at 412-268-5503. The student may also want to inform the professor and request that they be manually enrolled on the course Canvas site.

8. A building access card may be issued for those who need access to a specific academic building that requires card access. Students may direct all building access card questions to The HUB

9. Students wishing to drop or withdraw from their cross-registration course, must complete the PCHE Drop/Withdrawal (pdf) form and submit it to CMU's University Registrar's Office for processing. Students are asked to adhere to the drop deadlines set forth by CMU. CMU will notify the home institution and the student once the form is processed.

10. CMU's University Registrar's Office will report grades to the appropriate office of the home institution after the Carnegie Mellon final grade submission deadline. PCHE institutions do not report mid-term grades.