Additional Tools and Resources for Supervisors
OHR has resources to assist every step of the way. A summary of the resources is below; however, more details can be found on the corresponding links.
Having conversations with your staff:
Your HR business partner (HRBP) is the best place to start to discuss conversations with your staff. Your HRBP will provide you with applicable policies and procedures, and assistance to manage situations.
Working norms to discuss with your staff on scheduling and meeting management, team management, and engaging with telecommuting / remote workers are also available to assist supervisors through this transition.
Requests for short- or long-term accommodations and/or accessibility due to a disability:
The Office of Disability Services offers support to faculty and staff who need assistance with requests for short- or long-term accommodations and/or accessibility due to a disability. Details regarding the interactive process can be found on the Disability Services webpage.
Assistance with mental and emotional health and well-being:
- HR Coronavirus News — The Office of Human Resources's page dedicated to pandemic-related information and resources including benefits and leave information and temporary amendments to PTO policy.
- COVID and Return to Campus webpage — Provides guidance on the phased return to on campus work.
- Employee Assistance Program — CMU's resource for promoting a healthy workplace with resources to help you manage personal and work-life issues through our partnership with GuidanceResources.
- EAP Toolkit for Supervisors and Managers [pdf] — This toolkit provides information on resources available through the Employee Assistance Program (EAP), including when and how to refer an employee to the EAP.
- Equal Parts through Care@Work — Series of podcasts for working parents who are trying to balance between home and work life.
- Virtual Benefits Fair — A interactive tool implemented during open enrollment in 2020 that allows employees to explore available health and wellness benefits.
Assistance with childcare, elder care, pet care or other types family care
- Family Care Concierge — Get personalized, one-on-one assistance on various dependent care related topics, including child care and elder care. Simply email firstname.lastname@example.org with the details of your request or needs, and a family care concierge specialist will find programs, resources and organizations that can support your family.
- Care@Work — CMU faculty, staff and graduate students can access a free premium membership with Care.com to find nannies, distance learning support, elder care, care for pets, and help with housekeeping. Members can also access subsidized emergency backup care for children and elders.
- CareLink — This online marketplace allows all members of the CMU community to both post jobs and look for jobs. For parents, this can mean finding a babysitter or nanny, joining a learning pod, or connecting with virtual tutors.
- Employee Assistance Program — The EAP offers a wide range of free and confidential services including resources for child and elder care, pet care and home repair.
Trainings available to supervisors:
- Staff Supervisory Awareness Program — Developed to address the outcomes of the Task Force on Campus Climate, this program provides supervisors at CMU with a solid foundation of core human resources knowledge critical to their success.
- Communication in Times of Change — Helps supervisors come up with a communication strategy that helps make a change initiative successful regardless of whether they are the ones instigating the change.
- Leading Productive One-on-One Meetings — Shows how to establish a one-on-one meeting schedule and agenda, assign and review actions items, and assess the results of the meeting and follow up on promises; also explains how to listen to employees needs effectively and when to offer training and development.
- Difficult Situations: Solutions for Managers — Offers simple and effective actions to take when challenging situations arise.
- Interpersonal Communications — Shares techniques for getting your message across effectively in the workplace and explains how to tackle potential communication challenges.