Staff Leave Options (Exempt and Non-Exempt)
Effective March 16, 2020, until further notice
If you are sick:
- If you expect your illness to last more than seven consecutive days, please apply for Short Term Disability (STD) and Family Medical Leave (FML).
- STD filing instructions can be found at https://www.cmu.edu/hr/benefits/disability-insurance.html.
- FML filing instructions can be found at https://www.cmu.edu/hr/benefits/time-away/fmla.html.
- If you have questions on these leave types, please contact Matt McCabe at 412-268-5899.
- If you expect your illness to last less than seven consecutive days, please follow the instructions in the Request Time Off Quick Guide [pdf], or the provisions of your collective bargaining agreement, to request time off with pay (Paid Time Off [PTO], Floating Holidays, vacation, etc.). If you have no available time off with pay, you may be eligible for Emergency Time Off.
For non-union staff, if you are not sick but are unable to come to work:
- Work remotely if available.
- If you are unable to work remotely, you must use all available Paid Time off (PTO), Floating Holidays, and/or Pittsburgh Sick Days in order to be eligible for Emergency Time Off.
For union staff, if you are not sick but are unable to come to work:
- It is the university's intention to extend appropriate Emergency Time Off to union staff.
- Specific policies and procedures will be developed and communicated by their respective operational managers.
If you have depleted all of your paid leave options and are unable to work:
- See eligibility requirements and guidelines for Emergency Time Off.