The Office of Human Resources is supporting the university's efforts to ensure the safety and well-being of the university community by keeping our staff, faculty and students informed and taking preventive measures regarding the rapidly-changing events of the coronavirus outbreak.
U.S. Campus Updates
Please review the individual pages for more information and to determine whether you are eligible for these resources, which are effective until further notice:
- Benefits — Updates have been made to CMU benefit plans in response to the COVID-19 emergency.
- Updates to Spending Accounts — Per updated IRS guidelines, the Health Care Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care Reimbursement Account coverage periods and claim submission deadlines have been extended for the 2020 plan year.
- Work and Leave Options [pdf] — A comprehensive matrix by scenario and information about unpaid time off and unpaid personal leaves of absence. As always, for illnesses that exceed seven calendar days, please contact the Leaves Department.
- COVID-19 Medical Requests for Accommodations — The university will provide a reasonable accommodation to eligible faculty and staff who, because of the COVID-19 pandemic, require workplace accommodations to enable them to perform the essential functions of their job.
- Temporary Amendments to PTO — Information about all temporary exceptions to the Paid Time Off policy including COVID-19 Time Off, Emergency Time Off, Use of Unearned PTO and PTO Rollover Exceptions.
- COVID-19 Floating Holidays — Three new COVID-19 floating holidays have been granted to all full-time staff members who are eligible for floating holidays and who are employed as of the effective date of November 23, 2020 and all part-time exempt and non-exempt benefits eligible staff employed as of the same date.
- Employee and Family Assistance Programs — Watch this brief video that highlights employee and family care resources including the Employee Assistance Program and Care.com.
- Family Care Concierge — CMU faculty, staff and graduate students are eligible to receive personalized support and guidance regarding dependent care from the university's Concierge Service.
- Family Care Benefits via Care.com — Use Care.com to find backup care, establish a learning pod or nanny share, and find other distance learning support.
- Return to Campus Safely Training (login required) — A brief training (10 minutes) designed for university community members who have been approved to return to campus. Please note that anyone can view the training but only those approved can return to campus for on-site work.
- Once you click on this link, click enroll/launch to view.
- The slides appear below the training and can be downloaded or printed by clicking enroll/launch.
Please note, the approval guidelines have been updated effective June 2, 2021. Effective March 26, 2020, Carnegie Mellon University implemented a hiring freeze that limits staff hiring and fixed-term extensions to those positions deemed mission critical.
The university remains open and encourages people to engage in social distancing practices. In most instances, the university has requested that everyone who can work remotely continue to do so.
All staff and student workers (except those identified as essential employees) at the Silicon Valley campus should plan to work remotely effective March 9, 2020 until further notice. All employees and student workers are expected to work directly with their supervisor regarding job expectations.
For HR-related questions or concerns, please contact Jamell Mihalik, 412-268-1759.
CMU-Q is continuously monitoring the changing COVID-19 situation and we are working hard to plan for different contingencies ensuring the health and safety of our community.
Refer to CMU-Q Covid-19 Information for the latest updates.