The Office of Human Resources is supporting the university's efforts to ensure the safety and well-being of the university community through the following programs and resources, which are effective until further notice.
Benefits and Care Resources
- Updates have been made to CMU benefit plans in response to COVID-19.
- Faculty and staff members who participate in CMU's pharmacy benefit can receive up to eight COVID-19 at home test kits (one test per package) per 30 consecutive days.
- The Care Resources for Staff and Faculty guide compiles key resources and contacts related to health and well-being and child and family care.
- CMU faculty, staff and graduate students can receive personalized support and guidance from the university's Family Care Concierge Service.
- The Care@Work program provides subsidized backup care for dependents of faculty, staff and graduate students, and enables users to find household help, establish a learning pod or set up a nanny share.
Accommodations and Time Away from Work
- The university will provide a reasonable accommodation to eligible faculty and staff who require workplace accommodations to enable them to perform the essential functions of their job.
- The university has authorized temporary exceptions to the Paid Time Off Policy including COVID-19 Time Off, Emergency Time Off, Use of Unearned PTO and PTO Rollover Exceptions.
- The Work and Leave Options Matrix [pdf] provides comprehensive information about unpaid time off and unpaid personal leaves of absence.
- As always, for illnesses that exceed seven calendar days, please contact the Leaves Department.
COVID-19 Vaccine Exemptions
Consistent with federal and state law, Carnegie Mellon will consider medical or religious exemptions to any vaccine requirement for faculty and staff. Those who are granted a vaccination exemption must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements.
U.S. Staff Hiring Guidance
Effective March 26, 2020, Carnegie Mellon University implemented a hiring pause that limits staff hiring and fixed-term extensions to those positions deemed mission critical.