Welcome to CMU
Congratulations on your new position! There are a number of steps you should take before your first day to ensure that you arrive prepared and ready to contribute.
Getting CMU Ready
- Refer to the Welcome to CMU Onboarding Checklist provided by the CMUWorks Service Center and follow the steps to set up your Andrew computing account and get set up in Workday, the university's employee self-service system:
- You will receive an email from the Workday system with instructions for setting up your Andrew computing account.
- Follow the instructions to complete the prior affiliation questionnaire, retrieve your Andrew account and set your Andrew password.
- Register for Duo, the university's two-factor authentication system, to secure your Andrew account.
- Use your Andrew ID and password to log in to Workday through the HR CMUWorks Service Center.
- Use Workday to complete necessary tasks prior to your start date: review required documents, enter personal and contact information, and complete Section 1 of Form I-9.
- Visit Parking and Transportation Services to find information on where to park on your first day(s).
- Contact Disability Services to request accommodations or accessibility, if necessary.
- Contact your supervisor for direction on where and when to report, appropriate work apparel and what to expect during your first days.
As a new, benefits-eligible employee, one of your first tasks is to enroll in your benefit options.
You must enroll in, or opt out of, benefits for yourself and your eligible dependents within your first 30 days of employment. Otherwise, you will be defaulted to the benefits coverage for your position type (full-time or part-time), and the cost of the coverage will be deducted from your paycheck.
Learn more about New Employee Benefits Enrollment, including how to enroll and default coverage. You are also encouraged to attend a Benefits Information Session to learn more about the benefits options available to you.
The HR CMUWorks Service Center is home to Global Payroll at Carnegie Mellon University. Visit the HR CMUWorks Service Center's Payroll Resources for payroll calendars, forms and other resources, including:
- Direct deposit setup instructions
- Paycheck pickup for employees who have not yet set up direct deposit
- Information on tax withholdings
- Instructions for Foreign Nationals
See Parking and Transportation Services for information on your transportation options, including:
You should have already established your Andrew account and registered for Duo two-factor authentication as part of the Getting CMU Ready onboarding process outlined above. If not, you can find instructions in the HR CMUWorks Service Center's Onboarding Checklist for New Employees.
Once you have an account set up, visit Computing Services' Get Started for information on computing at Carnegie Mellon:
- Connect your mobile or desktop device to the network
- Learn about safe computing at CMU
- Set up your email and calendar
- Access university computing policies