The Knight-Hennessy Scholarship is for 2 to 5 years of study leading to a graduate degree in any field at Stanford University. Knight-Hennessy applicants must also apply directly to their targeted degree program at Stanford in order to be considered for the scholarship.
- Seniors, graduate students, and recent alumni within four years of earning their bachelor’s degree
- U.S. and non-U.S. citizens
- Meet the admission criteria for the intended graduate program at Stanford
The Knight-Hennessy program seeks applicants who are academically excellent, with significant records of leadership and service. The ideal candidate is one who can “out-think, out-work, and out-care” others. With that, they seek candidates who are other-oriented and low-ego. The specific criteria are:
- Independence of thought
- Purposeful leadership
- A civic mindset
HOW TO GET STARTED
While the FSO does not provide formal endorsements for the Knight-Hennessy Scholarship, we would strongly encourage you to work with us on your application, as we can provide feedback and guidance on your essays, letters of recommendation, and other components.
Make an appointment in late spring or early summer with Dr. Richelle Bernazzoli, FSO Assistant Director and Knight-Hennessy Campus Representative, in order to discuss your fit with the award.
Applicants are encouraged to receive feedback on their draft applications well in advance of the deadline.
NATIONAL DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER, 2021
- A completed Knight-Hennessy online application, including the two personal essays and two short answer questions
- Transcripts for all colleges and universities attended
- Standardized test scores (as required by the graduate program you are applying to)
- One-page resumé
- Two letters of recommendation that address your ability and determination to make a difference.
- Video story (prompt provided at application link in 1. above)
Please note that while your complete Knight-Hennessy scholarship application must be submitted online by September 12th, you also must apply to your intended graduate program at Stanford. Important: Some Stanford programs, such as the MBA and MD programs, have earlier deadlines. Knight-Hennessy applicants for all other graduate degree programs must submit their Stanford graduate applications no later than November 14th, 2018. Be sure to carefully review Key Dates in Timeline for 2019 Entry, as well as Stanford Graduate Admissions information.
NATIONAL SELECTION PROCESS
The Knight-Hennessy admissions committee will review all applications and rank the top candidates. In a parallel process, individual departments at Stanford will conduct their review of applicants based on their academic criteria. The applicants who rise to the top of both the Knight-Hennessy and departmental review processes will be invited to in-person assessments at Stanford from February, 2022. Final notifications to selected and non-selected candidates will take place in mid-February, 2022.