Winston Churchill Foundation Scholarships
Information Session: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 4:30 - 5:30pm GHC 5222
For one year of graduate work leading to a degree in engineering, mathematics or science at Churchill College, Cambridge University. Award covers all Cambridge University fees & tuition, plus a living allowance and travel expenses up to $50,000.
In order to apply, you must be endorsed by your university. Carnegie Mellon can endorse two candidates for the national competition. Applicants must be:
- Seniors or recent graduates
- U.S. Citizens
- Between the ages of 19 and 26
The criteria for the selection of Churchill Scholars include the following:
- Exceptional academic achievement in all disciplines, but especially in the major, as indicated by course grades (previous Scholars have had a grade point average of at least 3.8).
- Pursuit of original, creative work in the sciences, engineering, or mathematics at an advanced level, as demonstrated by awards and prizes and by letters of reference. Applicants in the sciences and engineering will show extensive laboratory experience, internships, or other related work, while applicants in mathematics will show substantial independent work or other projects.
- Ability to contribute to the advancement of knowledge
- Outstanding personal qualities evident in the applicant’s leadership, activities, and engagement.
Be sure to carefully read the application instructions provided by the Churchill Foundation: http://www.churchillscholarship.org/scholarship.html
HOW TO GET STARTED
Students must apply through FSO by the required campus deadline (August 28, 2019) in order to be considered for endorsement.
- Interested students must contact the FSO as early as possible in spring semester (and no later than June 14, 2019) to discuss their possible candidacy.
- Book an appointment with FSO Assistant Director Dr. Richelle Bernazzoli or Director Dr. Stephanie Wallach.
- If you are away from campus, we will arrange a phone or Skype meeting.
PRE-APPLICATIONS DUE: JUNE 14, 2019
The pre-application process allows us to begin working early with applicants for the Churchill and other UK awards. After submitting your pre-application, you will receive targeted feedback from FSO that will allow you to begin crafting a competitive full application for the campus endorsement process. In some cases, we may recommend that you consider other opportunities that are a better fit.
- Pre-Application form (link in right-hand side bar)
- Current résumé
- Unofficial Carnegie Mellon transcript
- Two to four recommendation letters emailed to FSO. Be sure to give each recommender the document “Instructions for Recommenders – UK Awards.” Note that these are not final letters, and recommenders will have the opportunity to make updates to them.
- A personal statement of 1,000 words that outlines your intellectual and professional interests and achievements, future goals, and reasons for pursuing study in the UK.
REQUIRED CAMPUS DEADLINE: AUGUST 28, 2019
- A signed FSO Scholarship Waiver
- A complete Churchill Scholarship application printed from the online application portal and including the personal statement, proposed program of study essay, listing of awards, and research experiences. Do NOT electronically submit your application until after the endorsement decisions have been made.
- Transcripts for all colleges or universities attended, including study abroad (unofficial CMU transcripts are okay at this stage)
- Four academic letters of recommendation written specifically for the Churchill Scholarship and accompanied by the Churchill recommendation cover sheet. Recommenders should write their letters to the “Committee of Selection” and must email their letters directly to FSO.
- A copy of your email correspondence with a prospective research supervisor at Cambridge
After the campus deadline, the campus Churchill Endorsement Committee will review all applications. Endorsed applicants will then be notified and guided through the final steps of the application process.
UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE DEADLINE: WAS OCTOBER 11, 2018 at 12:00pm (UK time)
Churchill applicants must also apply to their graduate program at Cambridge. Some key points regarding the Cambridge application:
- If your account is inactive for 2 or more weeks, your application will be automatically deleted, so be sure to log in frequently.
- Your application will require 2 academic letters of recommendation. Your online submission of the Cambridge application will send automated email prompts to your references, who will then have 14 days to submit their letters.
- Your Cambridge program may have its own requirements, such as an additional research proposal or other essays, additional test scores, or differing deadlines. Carefully review their website!
- Churchill College MUST be your first choice of college on the Cambridge application.
NOTE: The Churchill Committee does NOT review your Cambridge application.
ENDORSED APPLICANT DEADLINE: OCTOBER 25, 2019
By this date, endorsed applicants must submit their final, signed application packet to our office. All final recommendation letters are also due on this date, along with their cover sheets. Be sure to include any updated correspondence with your proposed Cambridge advisor.
CHURCHILL NATIONAL DEADLINE: NOVEMBER 2019
We will compile your application and recommendation letters and electronically submit the packet on your behalf. We also mail your official transcripts to the Churchill Foundation in New York, NY. Students who are short-listed by the national Churchill Committee will be invited for a phone interview in January. These candidates are then evaluated by the Cambridge Board of Graduate Studies and by their proposed departments. Churchill Scholarship winners are announced by March 1.