Committee on Faculty Diversity, Inclusion and Development
To gain insight into the challenges and opportunities of diversity on the CMU campus, President Farnam Jahanian charged a faculty committee to advise him on how we might best recruit and retain a diverse, world-class faculty. The committeee is now broadening its scope to include work on enhancing faculty climate, promoting diversity and inclusion, and creating development opportunities.
2020-2021 Committee Membership
- Eric Anderson, College of Fine Arts
- Shawn Blanton, College of Engineering
- Rosalind Chow, Tepper School of Business
- Erica Cochran, College of Fine Arts
- Lorrie Cranor, School of Computer Science
- Brian Kovak, Heinz College
- Manfred Paulini, Mellon College of Science
- Jeria Quesenberry, Dietrich College
- Jeanne VanBriesen, Vice Provost for Faculty, co-chair
- John Zimmerman, School of Computer Science
This committee will help to maintain diversity as a foundational principle of CMU’s faculty infrastructure. One of their most important goals is to develop and disseminate tools and techniques that better enable colleges to recruit stellar faculty from a variety of backgrounds. In addition, the committee is tasked to create initiatives that enhance the retention and development of a diverse faculty; this is a critical element that will ensure our collegiate culture is rooted in inclusion.
At the recommendation of the Committee, the deans have appointed Diversity Liaisons within each college to disseminate ideas and best pracrices throughout the university. Search committee chairs should contact their college's Diversity Liaison about processes to reduce implicit bias during searches. Faculty can also bring their ideas for fostering a more diverse faculty environment to their school or college Liaison(s).
College of Fine Arts
Mellon College of Science
Tepper School of Business:
School of Computer Science: