Committee on Faculty Diversity, Inclusion and Development
To gain insight into the challenges and opportunities of diversity on the CMU campus, President Farnam Jahanian charged a faculty committee to advise him on how we might best recruit and retain a diverse, world-class faculty. The committeee is now broadening its scope to include work on enhancing faculty climate, promoting diversity and inclusion, and creating development opportunities.
2017-2018 Committee Membership
- Karen Clay, Heinz College – Co-Chair
- Diana Marculescu, College of Engineering – Co-Chair
- Kathryn Roeder, Provosts’ Office – Co-Chair
- Eric Anderson, College of Fine Arts
- Erica Cochran, College of Fine Arts
- Lorrie Cranor, College of Engineering and School of Computer Science
- Carol Frieze, School of Computer Science
- Cleotilde Gonzalez, Dietrich College
- Jennifer Keating-Miller, Dietrich College
- Curtis Meyer, Mellon College of Science
- Javier Pena, Tepper School of Business
This committee will help to maintain diversity as a foundational principle of CMU’s faculty infrastructure. One of their most important goals is to develop and disseminate tools and techniques that better enable colleges to recruit stellar faculty from a variety of backgrounds. In addition, the committee is tasked to create initiatives that enhance the retention and development of a diverse faculty; this is a critical element that will ensure our collegiate culture is rooted in inclusion.
At the recommendation of the Committee, the deans have appointed Diversity Liaisons within each college to disseminate ideas and best pracrices throughout the university. Search committee chairs should contact their college's Diversity Liaison about processes to reduce implicit bias during searches. Faculty can also bring their ideas for fostering a more diverse faculty environment to their school or college Liaison(s).
College of Fine Arts
Mellon College of Science
Tepper School of Business:
College of Engineering:
School of Computer Science: