Principal Lecturer of Russian Studies
I was born and grew up in St. Petersburg, Russia. From my youth I developed a profound interest in the humanities and particularly in literature and history. These interests led me to undergraduate and post-graduate studies at the State University of St. Petersburg. I live in the USA since 1989. In 1990-1991, I was enrolled in post-doctoral training at the University of Pittsburgh, School of Education. My teaching career at CMU began in 1990.
Areas of Interest
- Russian Literature and Culture
- History of Russian Cinema
- Intercultural Communication
- Art History
- Social, Cultural, Political and Intellectual History of Russia.
- Russian (Elementary, Intermediate, Advanced Levels)
- Russian for Heritage Speakers: Babushka’s Russia & Beyond
- Russian Cinema: From the Bolshevik Revolution to Putin’s Russia
- Special Topics in Russian
- Russian Culture
Selected Awards and Honors
- Honorable Teacher of Russia
- Honorable Professor of the Beijing Jiaotong University (China)
Selected Community, University, and Professional Service
- United Nations of Pittsburgh
Kats N., Karpenko S.V. The Feat of the Defenders of the “Weapons Capital of Russia”: On the Publication of the Monograph “The Battle for Tula: «Stop Guderian!» by S.Yu. Kondratenko. – Новый Исторический Вестник. (The New Historical Bulletin), No 1 (71), Moscow, 2022, pp. 136-147.
Naum G. Kats. New Trend in University Education: Covid–19 Pandemic and Transition to E-Learning. - Communication Strategies of the Information Society. St. Petersburg University of Peter the Great, 2022, pp. 31-36.
- Naum G. Kats. "Dream and Reality in the Life of Nicholas Lochoff: On the History of the Creation of Niicholas Lochoff’s Pittsburgh Cloister." Przeglad Wschodnioeuropejski. Olstyn, Poland, 2019, No X, pp. 37-47.
- Naum G. Kats. "The Dialogue of Cultures of the Postindustrial City." - 5th International Scientific Conference on Social Science and Arts (SGEM 2018). V.5. Science and Art. Vienna, Austria, 2018, pp. 135-141.
- Naum G. Kats. "Russian Cultural Migration to the New World." – The Problem of Exile: Russian and American Context, Yaroslavl, 2017, pp. 193-199.
- Naum G. Kats. "From Experiences in Intercultural Communication: Some Issues in the Management of Intercultural Communication in Classroom." - Subcultures and Communicative Strategies of Information Society. St. Petersburg, 2014, pp. 119-124.
- Naum G. Kats. "Teaching in the Intercultural Environment of a Global University". 2013 Sino-U.S. Economic and Culture Scholarly Forum. Beijing, 2013.