Senior Lecturer of Chinese Studies
In my view, teaching is a most rewarding profession that is constantly enriched by the instructor’s content knowledge, innovative pedagogical approach, and research-informed best practice. As a senior lecturer, I have taught Chinese Calligraphy: Culture and Skills, Elementary and Intermediate Chinese, as well as Hong Kong-China Study Abroad Preparation at Tepper School of Business. My academic and professional experiences enable me to work with students and scholars from a variety of cultural and intellectual backgrounds. My research interests include Chinese language, culture and pedagogy, cross-cultural communication, documentary film and oral history, and teacher professional development. I received my Ph.D. in Language, Literacy and Culture from University of Pittsburgh. I co-edited three books published by Peking University Press, entitled respectively Cross-cultural communication: Teaching Chinese in the global context, Tradition and transition: Teaching Chinese culture overseas, and Living overseas: Cases, strategies and guidance for CFL teachers around the world. In addition to teaching and research, I engage in various professional and community services and serve on the Board of Directors of the Chinese Language Teachers Association of Western Pennsylvania.
Areas of Interest
- Chinese language, culture and pedagogy
- Cross-cultural communication
- Documentary film and oral history
- Teacher professional development
- Western printing in late 19th Century China
- 82-137 Chinese Calligraphy
- Culture and Skills
- 45-698 Hong Kong-China Study Abroad Preparation
- 82-131 Elementary Chinese I
- 82-132 Elementary Chinese II
- 82-231 Intermediate Chinese I
Selected Awards and Honors
- Humanities Advisor, Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) funded “Shanghai-landers”, a documentary film about European Jews who found refuge in Shanghai, China in 1930s. My role as Humanities Advisor for the historical context and as Translator for the achieves and documents in Chinese, 2019-2020
- Principal Investigator, Mellon Foundation Research Fellowship, Needham Research Institute, Cambridge University, Research Project: Influence of Western Printing in late 19th Century China, 2006-2007
Selected Community, University, and Professional Service
- Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) Certified Tester, American Council for the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL), 2020-present
- Editorial Board & Assistant Editor, Studies in Chinese Learning and Teaching, 2017-present
- Curriculum Specialist and Lead-instructor, STARTALK program at Berks County Intermediate Unit, 2017
- Board of Directors, Chinese Language Teacher Association of Western Pennsylvania, 2014-present
- Board of Directors, Pittsburgh Chinese School, 2014-present
Liu, Z, Liu, G, Wang, H. et al. April, 2021. "Tales of Teachers: Case Studies and Reflections from CFL Classrooms in North America." Beijing: Peking University Press.
- Wang, H. & Liu, G. (Eds.). May, 2021. "跨文化交际案例：汉语教师海外工作实训教程 [Cross-cultural communication: Teaching Chinese in the global context]." Beijing: Peking University Press.
- Liu, G. & Wang, H. (Eds.). June, 2021. "生存攻略案例：汉语教师海外生活实训教程 [Living overseas: Cases, strategies and guidance for CFL teachers around the world]." Beijing: Peking University Press.
- Liu, G. & Wang, H. (Eds.). July, 2021. "传统与现代：海外中文文化教学[Tradition and transition: Teaching Chinese culture overseas]." Beijing: Peking University Press.
- Wang, H., Liu, G., Li, S.; & Luo, L. (2019). "A study of CFL teacher competency in the U.S.: An overview of professional guidelines, resources, and standards." Chinese Language Teaching Methodology and Technology, 1(4), 68-77.