Visiting campus is a great way to become more familiar with the program. An Information Session for interested applicants will be held in early December. During this visit, you will have an opportunity to meet current students, faculty and program administrators. We encourage you to attend this session if possible.
If you are interested in joining us for this session. please contact Vaishali Gakhar, Student/Alumni and Corporate Relations Manager.
Applicants to the MITS program must demonstrate academic excellence and preparedness for the rigors of the program. A minimum level of programming proficiency is required. See below for details pertaining to admission requirements and application materials.
Minimum qualification for admission to the MITS program includes previous coursework, demonstrated ability or equivalent work experience in the following areas:
- Algorithms and data structures;
- Proficiency in programming in at least one of the following languages: C, C++, or Java;
- Analytical ability, including topics such as probability, statistics, research methods, and economics.
Three-year undergraduate degrees from outside the United States (i.e., United Kingdom, India, etc.) are generally not considered to be the equivalent to a U.S. bachelor degree. A bachelor degree from an accredited institution is the minimum requirement for admission to our professional master's programs.
2017-2018 Academic Year
The application portal will open on October 15, 2016.
Applications for the 2017-2018 academic year will be accepted until January 15, 2017. Admission decisions will be mailed in mid-March.
Classes begin August 28, 2017.
Complete application packets must include the following materials:
- Official GRE General Test scores, or equivalent (GMAT);
- Current CV or resume;
- Official transcripts from all universities attended;
- Three letters of recommendation;
- A statement of purpose;
- Official TOEFL exam scores (if the applicant's native language is not English); and
- Tell us something about yourself in 1-2 minutes that we would not know from the rest of your application materials. (This is not a required part of the application, but it is strongly recommended.)
**Note: Official GRE and TOEFL score reports are required to be sent at the time of application. Please note that these will not be tracked until acceptance of admission offer.
Official hard copies of your transcripts will need to be sent upon acceptance of admission offer.
Please visit the MITS application portal to complete an application packet.
The annual application deadline is January 15.
The MITS program tuition is $25,000/semester at Carnegie Mellon University.
For further information on the MITS degree program, please contact:
Associate Teaching Professor
Institute for Software Research
Carnegie Mellon University
MITS Program Administrator
Carnegie Mellon University