Applicants to the MITS program must demonstrate academic excellence and preparedness for the rigors of the program. A minimum level of programming proficiency is required. See below for details pertaining to admission requirements and application materials.
Minimum qualification for admission to the MITS program includes previous coursework, demonstrated ability or equivalent work experience in the following areas:
- algorithms and data structures
- programming proficiency in at least one of the following languages: C, C++, or Java
- analytical reasoning, particularly in the areas of probability and statistics
Complete application packets must include the following materials:
- CV or current resume
- Transcripts from all universities attended
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose (500-1,000 words)
- Official TOEFL exam scores, if the applicant's native language is not English
- GRE or equivalent GMAT
Though not required for the initial admission's assessment, the Graduate Record Exam (GRE), or equivalent Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), is strongly recommended.
The annual application deadline is January 15.Please visit the MITS application portal to complete an application packet.
For further information on the MITS degree program, please contact:
Associate Teaching Professor
Institute for Software Research
Carnegie Mellon University